San Felipe Part Built ZHL kit

Hi everyone
I have just joined as I know I will be needing a lot of help with the above kit which I have been given to complete by a friend and I have seen a couple of build blogs which will be invaluable to me for the task in hand.
It belonged to someone he knew who recently passed away and he needed to clear out the property.
Although I do have modelling experience having built an R/C 10cc Fairy Huntsman some years ago along with a small electric powered R/C for my grandson, this is something else.
I have also experience of building and flying R/C planes of traditional balsa/ ply construction.
The main hull structure is more or less complete, one side being more advanced than the other, not having gun ports not cut out yet, also some detail damage due to storage and transportation.
After an in initial look through the box of parts I discovered that although there are many sheets of plans there is no CD or step by step instruction book.
Also some of the moulded parts have been glued into position unpainted which surprised me as I would have thought painting before hand would have been easier.
Any help with how to obtain instructions would be much appreciated and I will post again as I progress or not.
PS don’t know if it shows my location automatically but I am in the UK.
All for now.
BAZZA

Also from me a warm welcome to the forum and have fun.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

Maybe you should also check the remaining content of your kit - you can compare yours with the shown content in this video Max once uploaded at youtube

Display the video of the content inside San Felipe 1690 package.www.zhlmodel.com

Or this topic in SOS:

If something is missing, we know that Max from ZHL is willing to help and send some spare

And for the manual I would also contact ZHL directly, in order to ask for a copy or pdfs per e-mail

Take a look at this actual post by @GregW in another building log of the San Felipe

Thanks to all for your welcomes and advice.
I have just done some sorting out of the parts that I have and taken stock of what to do first, don’t think there is anything or much missing, indeed I think I have more materials than will be used.
I have taken some photos to show the current situation regarding present build stage, broken bits and some that I’m not sure on.
The masts are on and glued in so will have to be careful handling when I tackle cutting out the gun ports on the other side.
The strip material has me puzzled, the long lengths are 0,55mm x 7,0mm and the short darker ones are 0,4mm x 4,3mm.
The round ’thingy’, go on tell me what it’s really called, has been broken off thE boom? during transit and needs 2-New Cross members making.
Is it made correctly or should the top be planked.? The plan page 8 says ‘White strip mm0,5x 3.
Hope photos attach OK, here goes!
Thanks all,
BAZZAIMG_3955.jpegIMG_3960.jpegIMG_3961.jpeg

IMG_3955.jpeg

Looking really not so bad - better to say it visiversa - looking good
The "top" is usually made out of a grid structure on which boards are fixed
Typical sketch
Screenshot 2023-08-31 094631.png tall-ship-3.jpg

Maybe it would be good to start a building log, starting with the actual status. Here you can show more in detail the status of the model and also the future progress , you can ask questions and the members are able to comment or give hints and tipps

Hi there,
thank you so much for confirming that they should be planked as I thought.
I think the broken one in my photo needs a strip down and start again just salvaging the plain disc.
To finish the one mounted on the mast will need some surgery to get off and some juggling to assemble back onto the existing mast joint.
This is looking like a problematic task as I suspect the part numbering is ’up the creek’.
I have tried to identify the notched cross members that are underneath each of the round discs from the assembly drawings and the set of what I will call part pattern drawings ( they are on a different type of paper), initial look makes me think numbers don’t match on some.
Will have another look this morning and post photos to explain if I still think they are incorrect.
At the moment not sure about continuing, as what should be an enjoyable experience the first ‘ look see’ makes me think the rest will be just as problematic, bearing in mind I have no instructions as yet.
Regards and thanks
BAZZA

Maybe you take a look at @Donnie s building log of his Panart version of the San Felipe

It will give a good impression, how the ship model will look like - also the masts tops are visible

Hi again,
Thanks for your input Uwek, I have had a look at the build you suggested, WOW what workmanship.
Anyway after more pondering and part identification by a process of elimination and scaling I have I think sorted out the few parts that were puzzling me.
I have attached photos to illustrate my cause of confusion.
I have made some progress this morning by planking one of the two large discs which join the mast sections, and carefully removed the one glued onto the mast on the ship without damage.
I intend to remove the ‘rim’ then plank and make a new one.
I figure out that the top outer edge should be radiussed in order that the rigging which passes over this edge would not wear due to a sharp corner.
Not sure if the rectangular hole should be ‘lined out’ to be above the planking, at the moment the aperture is planked around flush with the rest, photo included.
Having a break now but got plenty to do off the main build.
Thanks again for yours and others support.
Now trying to learn what all the bits are called on the real ship.
Regards
PS looking for crosstree part 68 on the shapes that seem to match are in the 100’s whilst part 68 is found elsewhere and looks nothing like a crosstree.
Part 80 and others similar problem.

BAZZAView attachment 392232View attachment 392232

IMG_3966.jpeg

IMG_3967.jpeg

IMG_3969.jpeg

IMG_3970.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hi again,
Thanks for your input Uwek, I have had a look at the build you suggested, WOW what workmanship.
Anyway after more pondering and part identification by a process of elimination and scaling I have I think sorted out the few parts that were puzzling me.
I have attached photos to illustrate my cause of confusion.
I have made some progress this morning by planking one of the two large discs which join the mast sections, and carefully removed the one glued onto the mast on the ship without damage.
I intend to remove the ‘rim’ then plank and make a new one.
I figure out that the top outer edge should be radiussed in order that the rigging which passes over this edge would not wear due to a sharp corner.
Not sure if the rectangular hole should be ‘lined out’ to be above the planking, at the moment the aperture is planked around flush with the rest, photo included.
Having a break now but got plenty to do off the main build.
Thanks again for yours and others support.
Now trying to learn what all the bits are called on the real ship.
Regards
PS looking for crosstree part 68 on the shapes that seem to match are in the 100’s whilst part 68 is found elsewhere and looks nothing like a crosstree.
Part 80 and others similar problem.

BAZZAView attachment 392232View attachment 392232

View attachment 392238

View attachment 392239

View attachment 392240

View attachment 392241

View attachment 392242

View attachment 392243

Hi again all,
Having studied Donnie’s build as suggested along with others, I have a question.
The trestle trees run forward and aft either side of the mast and the cross trees as the name suggests go across and both are notched out to locate together.
It seems that in all photos that I have seen there is a height difference between the top faces
of both, so that the planking or solid disc in the case of the kit, does not sit on the top face of the trestle trees making the outer lengths after the notching not doing any supporting ?
Is this correct, or on the real ship are the notches cut deeper so that the top faces of all cross members are level to support the planking.

Hi again all,
Having studied Donnie’s build as suggested along with others, I have a question.
The trestle trees run forward and aft either side of the mast and the cross trees as the name suggests go across and both are notched out to locate together.
It seems that in all photos that I have seen there is a height difference between the top faces
of both, so that the planking or solid disc in the case of the kit, does not sit on the top face of the trestle trees making the outer lengths after the notching not doing any supporting ?
Is this correct, or on the real ship are the notches cut deeper so that the top faces of all cross members are level to support the planking.
If you have questions or problems related to a certain model or ships construction or something else, it it is the best to start a new topic here:
In this way you get much more attention and the possibility to get the problem is much higher.
Maybe @Donnie can directly answer you

Hi again all,
Having had chance to examine more of the kit and part build, the enormity or the task has become apparent, leading me to the sad conclusion that I must stop and perhaps pass it on to someone more experienced who can spend time sorting it out and do it justice.
The friend I got it from just wanted it to go to a good home rather than it be ‘binned’ but did mention a donation to a charity would be acceptable.
Because it is part built and various parts still boxed, posting is not an option, so collection within the UK from the PR8 postcode area or part delivery could be arranged.
Is anyone interested in the challenge?
Regards
BAZZA

Hi again all,
Having made enquiries at the local boat club we are proposing advertising the part built ZHL San Felipe kit to members in the hope of getting someone to finish her in return for a donation to a local charity.
The only problem is there is no instruction manual as it seems to have been lost during clearing out the house of the deceased original builder.
I have tried contacting Max at ZHL but he is requesting proof of purchase etc which obviously I don‘t have.
It would help the sale if instructions were available I‘m sure, can anyone help please?
Regards
BAZZA

Back