Russian 20-gun brig "Olimp" (ru "Олимпъ") 1817 1:78

This is my first large project: the HMS Revenge. I could not bring myself to cover the wood... either with paint or paper decals. I took the liberty to improvise with wood only... mostly walnut strips, walnut/maple and feathered walnut inlays.

View attachment 416332
View attachment 416331

View attachment 416326View attachment 416327View attachment 416333View attachment 416334View attachment 416335
That wood work is the best. I really like it. I think I might try hitting the wood with a clear coat to bring out the grain. Try it on some scraps first though. Very nice work Loracs. Beautiful. Norgale

Very good work - I like the total appearance of your ship models very much
- maybe because of the very good sails (extremely good)

Interesting also the HMS Trial - she has these 3 sliding keels, or?
A friend of mine, Peter, is in moment building such a model in scratch.

Very good work

Many thanks for these additional photos of the Trial model.
Yes, the keels are not visible, but on the deck we can realize the three lifting winches .
Your model is looking very good
For eveybody interested in this model please take a look at the NMM contemporary drawings:

j0460.jpg

That wood work is the best. I really like it. I think I might try hitting the wood with a clear coat to bring out the grain. Try it on some scraps first though. Very nice work Loracs. Beautiful. Norgale
Indeed, standard clear coat did bring the grain up but also give a slightly yellowish hue. At the end I settle on matte clearcoat, which was neutral overall.

I think other exhibits from museums in Russia can be posted there?
Off course - as much as you want and have
It is often highly interesting to see real museum models and often contemporary models.
And in addition the russian navy is not very much known by other modelrs outside russia.
So please show us, what we can see in russian museum - which I hope to visit once .....

Fascinating! An18thc. English Cutter with drop keels or center boards. That's the earliest I've see of center boards. Surely one of you experts on the forum knows when the drop keel or center board first appeared.
These models are wonderful examples of scratch model building at its best and a privilege to see. Thanks for sharing them!

Fascinating! An18thc. English Cutter with drop keels or center boards. That's the earliest I've see of center boards. Surely one of you experts on the forum knows when the drop keel or center board first appeared.
These models are wonderful examples of scratch model building at its best and a privilege to see. Thanks for sharing them!
As I know it was first time designed by Captain John Schank in 1774

John Schank was known as a man with a particular mechanical understanding. So he designed a bed that could be raised or lowered when in use. This earned it the nickname Old Pulley. In 1774, in Boston, he designed a private boat with a lowerable keel suitable for shallow waters. He later presented his invention to the Admiralty. Two identical ships of 13 tons were ordered, one with a lowerable keel and the other without. Since the design proved successful, several ships with lowerable keels were built, such as the HMS Cynthia and the research ship HMS Lady Nelson.

j8075.jpg

Sliding keel designs by Captain Schank for an unnamed boat (1774) and and unnamed cutter (no date)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the profile of a boat with one long sliding keel built at Boston in 1774 for Lord Percy, Duke of Northumberland; and a section and four profiles of a cutter (no cutter) illustrating how the sliding keels can be used depending upon the angle and strength of the wind. The plan has an explanation key.

cynthia.jpg

Cynthia2.jpg

Cynthia (1796)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the inboard profile for Cynthia (1796), a 16-gun Sloop fitted with three sliding keels, building at Rotherhithe by Messrs Wells.

Lady Nelson.jpg

Lady Nelson (1799); Passenger vessel; Brig​

Contemporary full hull model of the ‘Lady Nelson’ (1799), built at a scale of 1:32. The model, which is decked, has been constructed in the solid from planks of wood assembled in the 'bread and butter' fashion. The frames have been drawn onto paper, which has then been glued to the hull and painted with a layer of varnish. This in some ways uses the 'navy board' style to highlight the overall shape of the very shallow hull, which enabled the 'Lady Nelson' to carry out survey work around the shallows of the coastlines. To help overcome leeway and sail efficiently with a shallow draught, sliding keels designed by Captain John Schank (1740-1823) were fitted. The casings for these can be seen on the deck of the model by the main hatch, deckhouse and windlass.

The 'Lady Nelson' was originally rigged as a cutter but this was changed to that of a brig when it was fitted for the long voyage to Australia for survey work in 1800. The vessel was later destroyed by the inhabitants of Babber Island, Timor in 1825.

As I know it was first time designed by Captain John Schank in 1774

John Schank was known as a man with a particular mechanical understanding. So he designed a bed that could be raised or lowered when in use. This earned it the nickname Old Pulley. In 1774, in Boston, he designed a private boat with a lowerable keel suitable for shallow waters. He later presented his invention to the Admiralty. Two identical ships of 13 tons were ordered, one with a lowerable keel and the other without. Since the design proved successful, several ships with lowerable keels were built, such as the HMS Cynthia and the research ship HMS Lady Nelson.

View attachment 426901

Sliding keel designs by Captain Schank for an unnamed boat (1774) and and unnamed cutter (no date)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the profile of a boat with one long sliding keel built at Boston in 1774 for Lord Percy, Duke of Northumberland; and a section and four profiles of a cutter (no cutter) illustrating how the sliding keels can be used depending upon the angle and strength of the wind. The plan has an explanation key.

View attachment 426902

View attachment 426903

Cynthia (1796)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the inboard profile for Cynthia (1796), a 16-gun Sloop fitted with three sliding keels, building at Rotherhithe by Messrs Wells.

View attachment 426904

Lady Nelson (1799); Passenger vessel; Brig​

Contemporary full hull model of the ‘Lady Nelson’ (1799), built at a scale of 1:32. The model, which is decked, has been constructed in the solid from planks of wood assembled in the 'bread and butter' fashion. The frames have been drawn onto paper, which has then been glued to the hull and painted with a layer of varnish. This in some ways uses the 'navy board' style to highlight the overall shape of the very shallow hull, which enabled the 'Lady Nelson' to carry out survey work around the shallows of the coastlines. To help overcome leeway and sail efficiently with a shallow draught, sliding keels designed by Captain John Schank (1740-1823) were fitted. The casings for these can be seen on the deck of the model by the main hatch, deckhouse and windlass.

The 'Lady Nelson' was originally rigged as a cutter but this was changed to that of a brig when it was fitted for the long voyage to Australia for survey work in 1800. The vessel was later destroyed by the inhabitants of Babber Island, Timor in 1825.

Many thanks, very elucidating!
A number of the J-class sloops had sliding keels and a couple with a choice of two to be lowered, one or the other, depending on the boat's aspect to the wind.

Back