Rope twist

Why are ropes twisted sometimes to the left and sometimes to the right? Are they used for different purposes?

Yes, the direction of twist, number of threads in a rope and type of material all make a difference based on what the intended use of a rope is on the ship.

Try typing "rope" into the search tool and see how many different discussions there are.

I know there are many here on this forum that are way more versed in the terms and uses of the ropes.

I am sure one of them will answer with more in-depth explanation than I have given.

It has to do with how many layers of material are in the rope. Here's how you can see what left and right hand rope look like.
1658777183742.png

Rope has two layers, yard, and strands. So, most rope appears to be right hand. Cables have an additional layer since they are made from either three or four ropes twisted together, and are most often left hand in appearance. Cables are used for stays and shrouds. Ropes are usually used for all other lines. It is possible to reverse the twist of the fibers, and thus reverse the lay of all the larger sizes of rope and cable and you go, but usually this was not done.
1658780561280.png

So the lay has more to do with the size of the rope/cable? I was thinking that they used right hand for the starboard stays and left for the port or some such thing?

So the lay has more to do with the size of the rope/cable? I was thinking that they used right hand for the starboard stays and left for the port or some such thing?
Most cables and ropes are laid in the direction shown in the pictures above. However, rope or cable can be made in right or left lay. Consult RC Robinson or other book on rigging to learn which lay of rope or cable was used on shrouds and stays. The convention is different at different times and for different ships, and the information we have on which lay goes where and when is very spotty.

Why are ropes twisted sometimes to the left and sometimes to the right? Are they used for different purposes?
in the topic below is everything explained why right-hand rope, when left-hand cable is used, why rope made of hennep is right-hand. And how to make rope

in the topic below is everything explained why right-hand rope, when left-hand cable is used, why rope made of hennep is right-hand. And how to make rope

I find it interesting to learn more about rope. Maybe lilla be tempted to make mycket own.

Dirk's (Dubz) article is a good summary of material relating mostly to the 18th century and later, and does a great job of dispelling the myth of left-hand laid rope in common use.

I can add from my background in maritime archaeology that I have never seen left-hand laid rope on a shipwreck, but all of the cable I have seen is left-hand laid. We are right now in the process of publishing a major book on all of the rigging finrs from Vasa (sank 1628), which includes over 500 yards of cordage of all types, from spunyarn up to anchor cable. A brief summary of how the Swedish navy rigged their ships based on this is the follows:

Anchor cables and mooring lines: cable-laid from nine strands, left hand
Shrouds: a mixture of three-stranded and four-stranded rope, right hand (four strand with a heart), no worming or serving
Lanyards: three strands, right hand
Running rigging: mostly three strands, right hand, but lower halliard ties and topsail sheets are four strands with a heart, right hand
Gun breechings: four strands with heart, right hand, served (some are reused old rope, possibly old shrouds, most are new)
Gun tackles: three strands, right hand.

An important point is that in the making of rope, each stage of the process twists the material in the opposite direction of the previous stage. Almost all yarn for rope is spun from the raw fibre as right-hand twist (Z twist), both in the ancient world, when yarn was spun by hand, and after mechanical spinning wheels were introduced. This is different from how yarn or thread for making cloth is made, where both left and right twist can be used, and many fabrics are made with the warp twisted one way and the weft threads the other.

After spinning of the yarn, the yarns are laid into strands (left-hand), and the strands are closed into a rope (right-hand). A cable adds a further stage, laying three ropes together left-handed. The reversing of the twist is necessary to balance the stresses in the rope so that it will hold together in use. If properly laid, so that all the twists are balanced, the rope is said to be dead, and will not twist or kink when loaded.

Fred

Dirk's (Dubz) article is a good summary of material relating mostly to the 18th century and later, and does a great job of dispelling the myth of left-hand laid rope in common use.
Thanks Fred for the confirming comment :) Looking forward to the new book, will be another good source worth mention it.

cheers

Dirk

I can add from my background in maritime archaeology that I have never seen left-hand laid rope on a shipwreck, but all of the cable I have seen is left-hand laid. We are right now in the process of publishing a major book on all of the rigging finrs from Vasa (sank 1628), which includes over 500 yards of cordage of all types, from spunyarn up to anchor cable. A brief summary of how the Swedish navy rigged their ships based on this is the follows:

Anchor cables and mooring lines: cable-laid from nine strands, left hand
Shrouds: a mixture of three-stranded and four-stranded rope, right hand (four strand with a heart), no worming or serving
Lanyards: three strands, right hand
Running rigging: mostly three strands, right hand, but lower halliard ties and topsail sheets are four strands with a heart, right hand
Gun breechings: four strands with heart, right hand, served (some are reused old rope, possibly old shrouds, most are new)
Gun tackles: three strands, right hand.

An important point is that in the making of rope, each stage of the process twists the material in the opposite direction of the previous stage. Almost all yarn for rope is spun from the raw fibre as right-hand twist (Z twist), both in the ancient world, when yarn was spun by hand, and after mechanical spinning wheels were introduced. This is different from how yarn or thread for making cloth is made, where both left and right twist can be used, and many fabrics are made with the warp twisted one way and the weft threads the other.

After spinning of the yarn, the yarns are laid into strands (left-hand), and the strands are closed into a rope (right-hand). A cable adds a further stage, laying three ropes together left-handed. The reversing of the twist is necessary to balance the stresses in the rope so that it will hold together in use. If properly laid, so that all the twists are balanced, the rope is said to be dead, and will not twist or kink when loaded.

Fred
also from my side many thanks to Fred for these additional information.
I am looking forward to get the mentioned new publication into my hands.
Are there any information about title and planned release date / month?

Back