Rigging thread

Amann Serafil 120/2 is 0,12 mm. thick. So you have to search in in the sewing shop. Lock yarn is in these thickness available.

Occre has some listed on their website.
Yes, but when you measure them, they are almost 0,25 mm.

And the elementary question probably, but where can I get some 0.15 mm brown rigging thread?

That’s probably going to be a tough find. I make my own, and the smallest I make is 0.18mm with two single strands of Gutermann E121 thread. Once wound it’s OK, but making it is an extremely delicate operation.

As far as I know actual rigging never was of brown colour. It is either black for standing rigging or hemp colour for running rigging.
Brother Y.T.:
I believe that we need to be a bit more nuanced in our approach to color and how it is used on model ships. There are no absolutes. Color perception depends on lighting, surface texture, background colors, and scale. Weathering also changes color. Benjamin Moore manufactures more than 150 different "white" paints. Tarred hemp rigging would start off as brownish black, depending on the tar and how heavily it was applied, but would tend to become lighter because of sunlight, salt water, and wear. Some modelers might like to emphasize the color difference between standing rigging and running rigging to show how rigging works. Other modelers might like to make a model that looks like a weathered vessel with rigging of more muted coloration, the way a full-size vessel would appear at a distance. It's all good.
Fair winds

And the elementary question probably, but where can I get some 0.15 mm brown rigging thread?
First, is this a kit? If so which one, and are the producers capable of that level of precision (most kits are not known for precision, usually the opposite, scales are heavily compromised!) ie, why does it have to be 0.15 when similar sizes are available.
Second, why dark brown? If necessary you can always get hemp coloured and stain it yourself with ink or watercolour.

I buy most of my model kit from one supplier. Regarding ropes, the say Amati is the best they have … does anyone have a view on Amati thread with regard to quality, particularly when compared to the furry thread provided with Occre kits. Thanks in advance for any views.

Syren
Syren Ship Models has a 0.2mm brown rigging line. Closest I know to your needs. I have used their cord. It is not cheap, but it works very well.

The smallest rope I can make is 0.18mm using Skala 360 thread.

You will find that most manufacturers will claim to have 0.1mm or 0.15mm ropes but I've measured quite a few and none come close. For example that Artisania Latina "0.15mm rope" measures in at around 0.45mm.

If you want a cheap option just use regular tex25 sewing thread. That will be small enough.

If you want to use cotton. The DMC Cordonnet #100 measures as 0.15mm.
I get mine from Handy Hands in Ecru and dye it as needed…

Back