Rigging a windlass

I have a general understanding of how a capstan is used to bring in an anchor cable. Could somebody please explain how a windlass is used? If the anchor cable is made up to the windlass drum, which is housed at each end, how is it then able to run freely when the anchor needs to be let go? Thanks.

Thanks for that Jim. I guess my question was not precise enough. What I am trying to understand is how a manual windlass, lets say on something like a 1790s cutter, would have been used. With a capstan I understand the use of a messenger cable and nippers, so that the anchor cable itself is not around the capstan. I can't see how this system would work on a windlass, especially if it is located just a few feet from the bow. Thanks and apologies for not being clear.

Russian Schooner Polotsk. 1/72 - Rigging progress.

6f3b96f4ec53829551888e3b17958dd4.jpg

3ac3137cff186c824490c0c0cc5683cb.jpg

Dirk
Hallo Dirk alais @Dubz Modelling World
maybe you mixed up the photos or the topic - your cable at the windlass on the Polotsk is not really visible
Please check....

I have a general understanding of how a capstan is used to bring in an anchor cable. Could somebody please explain how a windlass is used? If the anchor cable is made up to the windlass drum, which is housed at each end, how is it then able to run freely when the anchor needs to be let go? Thanks.
Hallo @IanC
We wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special day
Birthday-Cake

Back