reviews vs bashing

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Sponsor: dlumberyard
Staff member
Sponsor

Although I am a fairly new builder (on my 4th ship build), IMHO, I highly recommend Syren's deadeyes and blocks over others. Was very
disappointed in the quality of the deadeyes by others, as the holes were not symmetrical.

*Admins Note: The words in red color replaced with the original to avoid a Conflict of Interest.

It is brought to our attention that you make a direct comparison of one product with another mentioning the store names. While it is
only your choice what store to use and recommend, comparison products mentioning store names are not allowed as it creates a 'Conflict
of interest'. Henceforth please refrain from directly comparing side-by-side products mentioning the store names. You can use the word 'other'
stores compare to the actual store.

This is another myth I will bust soon in an article. The shape of blocks and deadeyes. There is "somebody" believing and telling he knows
(same with the lay of rope) and bashing others but he is wrong. There is a wide wide wide range of shape of blocks and deadeyes in literature,
drawings and archeologic founds. There is no right or wrong.

The Dry Dock Blocks are perfectly fine and in my opinion the better choice. Same with the blocks.

A comparison of one product to another, in the past has never ended well. The biggest reason is the comparison is subjective and is based on someones opinion which might be bias because they have a grudge with the person or company or a novice builder who does not have the backround to even make a comparison. Let me give an example, in the past when plank on bulkhead kits were first introduced they were bashed to kingdom come. Reasons were the wood was poor quality, bulkheads were to far apart, fitting were bad and on and on it went. These comments were made by seasoned scratch builders who used the best materials they could find and had years of knowledge and experence, naturally anything less in their eyes was poor quality. I have seen beautiful models built from poor quality kits and poor models built from quality kits. It comes down to the builder, A novice builder with a limited understanding of the subject will bash the instructions and plans saying they fall short of explaining how to build the kit. An experenced builder may not even need instructions. There is a wide range of products and prices and they all serve a purpose. Perhaps someone does not want to pay a highter price for something when a lower priced product will work just as well. There is also the big so what, one builder will bash a product because it might be 1/1000th out of round or out of scale when it just does not matter to everyone else. A $100.00 kit to a $1000.00 kit is obviously you get what you pay for. So if you buy the $100.00 kit don't complain about the quality, it was your choise. Cheap kits have a place in the hobby, perhaps someone wants to just fiddle about with building something without a big investment of time, tools and money.

product reviews are based on a level playing field and not one product pitted against another. There is a big difference between a review of a product and outright bashing a product. Keep in mind bashing a product reflects poorly on you and not the product.

Although I am a fairly new builder (on my 4th ship build), IMHO, I highly recommend Syren's deadeyes and blocks over others. Was very
disappointed in the quality of the deadeyes by others, as the holes were not symmetrical.

*Admins Note: The words in red color replaced with the original to avoid a Conflict of Interest.

It is brought to our attention that you make a direct comparison of one product with another mentioning the store names. While it is

only your choice what store to use and recommend, comparison products mentioning store names are not allowed as it creates a 'Conflict
of interest'. Henceforth please refrain from directly comparing side-by-side products mentioning the store names. You can use the word 'other'

This is another myth I will bust soon in an article. The shape of blocks and deadeyes. There is "somebody" believing and telling he knows

(same with the lay of rope) and bashing others but he is wrong. There is a wide wide wide range of shape of blocks and deadeyes in literature,

The Dry Dock Blocks are perfectly fine and in my opinion the better choice. Same with the blocks.

A comparison of one product to another, in the past has never ended well. The biggest reason is the comparison is subjective and is based on someones opinion which might be bias because they have a grudge with the person or company or a novice builder who does not have the backround to even make a comparison. Let me give an example, in the past when plank on bulkhead kits were first introduced they were bashed to kingdom come. Reasons were the wood was poor quality, bulkheads were to far apart, fitting were bad and on and on it went. These comments were made by seasoned scratch builders who used the best materials they could find and had years of knowledge and experence, naturally anything less in their eyes was poor quality. I have seen beautiful models built from poor quality kits and poor models built from quality kits. It comes down to the builder, A novice builder with a limited understanding of the subject will bash the instructions and plans saying they fall short of explaining how to build the kit. An experenced builder may not even need instructions. There is a wide range of products and prices and they all serve a purpose. Perhaps someone does not want to pay a highter price for something when a lower priced product will work just as well. There is also the big so what, one builder will bash a product because it might be 1/1000th out of round or out of scale when it just does not matter to everyone else. A $100.00 kit to a $1000.00 kit is obviously you get what you pay for. So if you buy the $100.00 kit don't complain about the quality, it was your choise. Cheap kits have a place in the hobby, perhaps someone wants to just fiddle about with building something without a big investment of time, tools and money.

product reviews are based on a level playing field and not one product pitted against another. There is a big difference between a review of a product and outright bashing a product. Keep in mind bashing a product reflects poorly on you and not the product.
Excellent, well said.

Totally Agree. Any stuff by Dry dock is hightly recommended. I used their amazing blocks to improve my last kit: just could not belive my eyes when I got the envelope... !

Totally Agree. Any stuff by Dry dock is hightly recommended. I used their amazing blocks to improve my last kit: just could not belive my eyes when I got the envelope... !
Very well said. In Germany we have a saying: You should leave the church in the village

Back