Resumed Build log: Model shipways Constitution: Standing Rigging

I have been building the Model slipways Constitution over the last ten years and have decided to bring it out of dry dock and finish her up. I have been using the Bob Hunt Practicum. This is my dry dock on by building work bench. It makes it easy to slide the model in and out to work her and put it away out of danger when not working on her. I am a retired farrier/blacksmith so the sliding base is made out of 16 gauge sheet mental and the model base is held I place with magnets.

IMG_0855.jpeg

Last edited:
I am at the point of attaching the beatnik rigging and staves to the foremast. I have made all my rigging line myself using the Byrnes Ropewalk. I used about 8 different thread manufactures using cotton thread. That way I get 8 single strands, 8 three strands, and 8 triple strand sizes for 24 different thread sizes. This is an improvement over the few thread sizes given with the kit. I feel it gives a more realistic look to the rigging.

IMG_0862.jpeg

IMG_0853.jpeg

I am at the point of attaching the beatnik rigging and staves to the foremast. I have made all my rigging line myself using the Byrnes Ropewalk. I used about 8 different thread manufactures using cotton thread. That way I get 8 single strands, 8 three strands, and 8 triple strand sizes for 24 different thread sizes. This is an improvement over the few thread sizes given with the kit. I feel it gives a more realistic look to the rigging.

View attachment 418232

View attachment 418233
Good morning Thrasher, excuse me what is this detail, Thank you ,Frank

IMG_0862.jpeg

Good morning Thrasher, excuse me what is this detail, Thank you ,Frank

View attachment 418269
Hello Frank. The area you highlighted is on the front of the mast. It is a covering on the front of the masts called a chafing fish and is on sheet #6 of the Plan sheet for the Constitution. It protects the mast as the yard is lowered o r raised.

Hello Frank. The area you highlighted is on the front of the mast. It is a covering on the front of the masts called a chafing fish and is on sheet #6 of the Plan sheet for the Constitution. It protects the mast as the yard is lowered o r raised.
Good afternoon, OK , Thank you for your reply.Frank

I am at the stage of installing the bentinck shrouds on the fore and main masts. From the diagram on sheet 7 of the plans it looks pretty simple. A few hooks, some thimbles, a ring and some rigging rope. The only problem I see is that this all has to be done of the model!! I need to figure out a plan to do this without destroying shrouds. There does not seem to be many builds that have entered the rigging zone.

Oh, and now I have to figure out how to install the eyebolt in the waterway between all the cannons and cannon rigging. I will do some reading and checking to see what I can come with.

Bright side, I do have the futtock staves in place on the fore and main masts. More to follow.

IMG_0867.jpeg

I have come up with my plan for the Futtock and Bentinck shrouds. I did not like the kit supplied parts so I made my own. I made the hooks, and jumps rings out of wire, instead of hearts, I opened up some thimbles and used them instead.

I can rig the futtock shrouds and the bentinck shrouds off the model. My connecting point will be the large jump ring. I will have two parts, on the top the futtock shrouds and on the bottom the bentinck shroud.

Each futtock shroud will have a hook, two small jump rings in the middle, and then a smaller jump ring on the end. There will be five of them on each side.

Each bentinck shroud will be attached to the waterway with a wire wrapped thimble with a lanyard in-between the two thimbles. The top end of the bentinck shroud will be seized to the large split ring. There will be two of them. One on each side of the model.

While on the model, the lower ends of each futtock shroud will be slipped on the large jump ring.

My final adjusting point will be the seizing at the bottom of the bentinck shroud. Once it has been adjusted it will be seized with diluted white glue like the rest of the seizings.

I hope this all makes sense. Now all I have to do is make 20 futtock shrouds and 4 bentinck shrouds for the fore and main mast.

IMG_0879.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

I have been building the Model slipways Constitution over the last ten years and have decided to bring it out of dry dock and finish her up. I have been using the Bob Hunt Practicum. This is my dry dock on by building work bench. It makes it easy to slide the model in and out to work her and put it away out of danger when not working on her. I am a retired farrier/blacksmith so the sliding base is made out of 16 gauge sheet mental and the model base is held I place with magnets.

View attachment 418231
I just got mine started. I also got the Bob Hunt CDs. The instructions that come with my 1998 version is sorely lacking. Looks to be a fun build and already have someone wanting it. Hope he can wait 10 years!

I just got mine started. I also got the Bob Hunt CDs. The instructions that come with my 1998 version is sorely lacking. Looks to be a fun build and already have someone wanting it. Hope he can wait 10 years!

Hello Patrick. Glad to see another Conny builder in the group. Bob Hunt's course will be a great help in building the Constitution. It is a big undertaking and will take time and patience to build. You kind of start out with a Kit and by the time you finish you will qualify as a scratch builder. You will find out there are a lot of opportunities to enhance the kit. Have fun and if I can help just contact me.

Posts like this are why I read this site. The level of information and the dedication of the builders is inspiring and humbling. Chafing Fish- love it!

Very good job on rigging. There is still a long way to go before I reach this stage, but I will follow your structure with interest. There will definitely be things I will learn.

Back