Rails

When do you put all the rails on? Is it easier to put them on full length and then notch them out for anything that has to cross them or wait until everything is one and then piece the rails out? My gut is saying put them on full length :)

If you can put on a one piece rail that will bend around the curvature at the bows I'll look forward to finding out how you did it. I usually start the rail at the stern and use one section for as long a distance as it will bend to the desired shape than saw out the remaining rail from sheet wood to fit around the bows.

I've just done a couple close to the sheer. I scribed a line matching the sheer with a compass and then glued the rail onto the line. My clamps would reach down that far. The ones further down the hull will be a puzzle as I haven't figured out how to clamp them yet. the rails are only maybe 2mm wide and .5-1mm thick so bending them around the bow isn't an issue. I've been using one piece as my sections just go the length of the QD, the waist and the FC. The QD piece is just under 12" (31mm) long.
Does that answer your query?

Back