Queen Anne Royal Barge Syren Models

Queen Anne Royal barge, 1704-1714, Syren Models. One of my Covid builds-3months. All in all she comes together pretty well as per the down loaded instructions.
There were a few things I changed: I added a strake because I thought the hull would look a little thin with just three. The tiller I carved from an old ivory chopstick rest (one of several I had in my stash),rather than try to turn one as small as indicated on the plans. I used the dragon-like stylized dolphin motif as a model for the carving which I did with micro files.
I found that using a hair drier to bend the planks (all the wood is cherry) as per the instructions, didn't work for me and I broke a couple. So I used my MS soldering iron with the aluminum drum attachment. Just wetting the plank and using the heated drum worked a charm. Ammonia And some thinned (half and Half) amber shellac makes a nice wood finish enhances the cherry color.. Syren offers a full set of extra planks ( I think it cost $8.00) cheap enough, and definitely worth it at any price. I also copied the set of printed painted decorations because they're printed so close together, it makes cutting them out a bigger chore than it needs to be. I glued them onto some card stock, then glued the laser cut frames to the little paintings on the card stock and glued the whole assembly onto the model in one piece. Much easier than trying to assemble everything directly onto the model.
The kit comes with laser cut scroll decorations which you can carve into relief yourself, as well as a cast resin set. Either way it's all very fiddley. I carved the stern decoration on the flying transom, but used the resin decorations for the rest. (I'm not a masochist.) I leafed them with some gold powder I had stashed away. I used a little alkyd resin varnish as the adhesive (after allowing it to dry into a tacky state). and daubed the gold powder on with a soft brush.
There's a lot of operations you'll want to get right the first time. Do-overs are a major headache (as I found out).
The color scheme is after the royal barges I'd seen in the movies ("A Man for ALL Seasons," for one) and the official Barge for Q.E.II (may she rest in peace) uses the same white, red and gold color scheme.
The case I designed to look like an old early 18th c.

English Baroque era case on stand. I wanted the whole display to look like a period piece, Which it does. But frankly it's a little heavy (literally!) and overwhelming I think. But, hey. We just do the best we can. :rolleyes: (Apologies for getting the pictures a little out of order)

Pete:D

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks Bill!
I like the old period English cases for the Admiralty models in the USNA museum collection. Those were my inspiration. I found a calligrapher to letter the inscription on a strip of boxwood for the label. I cut and carved the monograms on either side by hand and gold leafed them.

Pete

Last edited:
Queen Anne Royal barge, 1704-1714, Syren Models. One of my Covid builds-3months. All in all she comes together pretty well as per the down loaded instructions.
There were a few things I changed: I added a strake because I thought the hull would look a little thin with just three. The tiller I carved from an old ivory chopstick rest (one of several I had in my stash),rather than try to turn one as small as indicated on the plans. I used the dragon-like stylized dolphin motif as a model for the carving which I did with micro files.
I found that using a hair drier to bend the planks (all the wood is cherry) as per the instructions, didn't work for me and I broke a couple. So I used my MS soldering iron with the aluminum drum attachment. Just wetting the plank and using the heated drum worked a charm. Ammonia And some thinned (half and Half) amber shellac makes a nice wood finish enhances the cherry color.. Syren offers a full set of extra planks ( I think it cost $8.00) cheap enough, and definitely worth it at any price. I also copied the set of printed painted decorations because they're printed so close together, it makes cutting them out a bigger chore than it needs to be. I glued them onto some card stock, then glued the laser cut frames to the little paintings on the card stock and glued the whole assembly onto the model in one piece. Much easier than trying to assemble everything directly onto the model.
The kit comes with laser cut scroll decorations which you can carve into relief yourself, as well as a cast resin set. Either way it's all very fiddley. I carved the stern decoration on the flying transom, but used the resin decorations for the rest. (I'm not a masochist.) I leafed them with some gold powder I had stashed away. I used a little alkyd resin varnish as the adhesive (after allowing it to dry into a tacky state). and daubed the gold powder on with a soft brush.
There's a lot of operations you'll want to get right the first time. Do-overs are a major headache (as I found out).
The color scheme is after the royal barges I'd seen in the movies ("A Man for ALL Seasons," for one) and the official Barge for Q.E.II (may she rest in peace) uses the same white, red and gold color scheme.
The case I designed to look like an old early 18th c.

English Baroque era case on stand. I wanted the whole display to look like a period piece, Which it does. But frankly it's a little heavy (literally!) and overwhelming I think. But, hey. We just do the best we can. :rolleyes: (Apologies for getting the pictures a little out of order)

Pete:D
Beautifull Work ,congratulations

Back