Purchased this ship. It is single plank over fiberglass. Mostly plastic decorations. Someone's scratch build, I think. Very filthy too. Any opinions?

To clean it I would recommend a mini vacuum cleaner such as the battery operated ones made for computers etc. Dusters just move the dust around and can cause damage as you go. It's a big job but worth doing.

Around some of the more accessible areas you might try cotton tips with a light furniture polish oil. Perhaps other members have better suggestions but I'm a book restorer so used to doing things slowly and carefully. ;)

To clean it I would recommend a mini vacuum cleaner such as the battery operated ones made for computers etc. Dusters just move the dust around and can cause damage as you go. It's a big job but worth doing.

Around some of the more accessible areas you might try cotton tips with a light furniture polish oil. Perhaps other members have better suggestions but I'm a book restorer so used to doing things slowly and carefully. ;)
Why Thank You sir. Any idea of who the kit was made by? Or is this someone's scratch build? It is hollow with beams crossing from gunport to gunport with cannons lashed to them. The only carriages are on top decks. There is no ships wheel, no bell, lifeboats or belaying pins. And the name plate is off center. Oh well, still looks pretty good.

Why Thank You sir. Any idea of who the kit was made by? Or is this someone's scratch build? It is hollow with beams crossing from gunport to gunport with cannons lashed to them. The only carriages are on top decks. There is no ships wheel, no bell, lifeboats or belaying pins. And the name plate is off center. Oh well, still looks pretty good.
Others on here have much more knowledge about Sovereign of the Seas than I do. I'm sure someone will help with your inquiry.

I think this is one of those inexpensive models made somewhere in Asia. The tell tale sign is the rigging which is bizarre.

I think this is one of those inexpensive models made somewhere in Asia. The tell tale sign is the rigging which is bizarre.
The rigging is very strange because if you look closely some lines would not actually function. All of the blocks are actually bullseyes or sheaves. Do you know what bullseyes are used for? The quality of the rigging line is actually really nice for the stays, no fuzz at all. Purchased from an estate sale for probably too much. All in all, I have something to mess with.

Thanks' Poly!

The rigging is very strange because if you look closely some lines would not actually function. All of the blocks are actually bullseyes or sheaves. Do you know what bullseyes are used for? The quality of the rigging line is actually really nice for the stays, no fuzz at all. Purchased from an estate sale for probably too much. All in all, I have something to mess with.

Thanks' Poly!
Not to belabor the point, but the Asian builders have no idea how rigging functions and they put it everywhere to look impressive and give people their money's wiorth. Bulls eyes make the job go much faster as compared to rigging through blocks. But for what you paid, you have a nice srtarting point with a good hull to make improvements.

Back