Proxxon DB250 modification

Ahoy! Shipmates! I have just given my DB250 a 'face-lift' by adding a cross-slide tool post that can be adjusted to produce straight & tapered parts. The parts came from cannibalising a 'carppy' China micro 'lathe'. The angle adjustment is achieved by slackening the clamping thumbscrew then turning the adjusting knob to the desired amount of taper. Feeler gauges can be used to set the taper for repeat production. The spars just need a bit of sanding to clean-up, works perfectly for Le Superbe's yards. I can also produce pulley block sheaves from brass.IMG_5169.JPG

IMG_5170.JPG

Hi, YT, I've not actually tried the Proxxon mod. to make sheaves. I've only done some on my 7" metalwork lathe. I used 4 mm dia. brass, turned down to 3 to 3.5 mm, drilled for the shaft, 1 mm, then turned a shallow 'V' groove, then cut off at required thickness.
The last few I made, I just cut a series of grooves, then used my KG 50 cut off saw to separate the sheaves.

Ahoy! Shipmates! I have just given my DB250 a 'face-lift' by adding a cross-slide tool post that can be adjusted to produce straight & tapered parts. The parts came from cannibalising a 'carppy' China micro 'lathe'. The angle adjustment is achieved by slackening the clamping thumbscrew then turning the adjusting knob to the desired amount of taper. Feeler gauges can be used to set the taper for repeat production. The spars just need a bit of sanding to clean-up, works perfectly for Le Superbe's yards. I can also produce pulley block sheaves from brass.View attachment 373145

View attachment 373146
This is an excellent mod, Stuart! We'd like to know a bit more about it.

Ahoy! Shipmates! I have just given my DB250 a 'face-lift' by adding a cross-slide tool post that can be adjusted to produce straight & tapered parts. The parts came from cannibalising a 'carppy' China micro 'lathe'. The angle adjustment is achieved by slackening the clamping thumbscrew then turning the adjusting knob to the desired amount of taper. Feeler gauges can be used to set the taper for repeat production. The spars just need a bit of sanding to clean-up, works perfectly for Le Superbe's yards. I can also produce pulley block sheaves from brass.View attachment 373145

View attachment 373146
Dear Stuart
You won't believe it, in the these days I'm also trying to plan an upgrade of this machine with my friend.
The information and pictures will help me a lot, thank you very much.
I would be happy if you would attach drawings, additional photos, including those of the assembly and preparation process

Hi, Shipmates, here's what I did:-
I mounted my DB250 on 2 pieces of MDF, one 18 mm one 6 mm, then I mounted it on a baseplate of 8 mm MDF with feet from another redundant tool, to which I then mounted the cross slide, using an M4 dovetail nut from the donor 'lathe'. The bracket for adjusting tapers was also attached using dovetail nuts. For producing tapers, the base dovetail screw allows the cross slide to pivot without excess movement. I am thinking of replacing the hex. drive screw with a hex. head one so that I can reach under with a spanner (wrench - US). I think the attached photos are self-explanative. I added a photo of the donor tool, & one of the 'Ship builder's assistant taking a well earned rest! I'm thinking of turning the headstock & chuck of the donor into a mini disc sander, I just need to build a suitable 'table'. Pic. 7 shows the tool post I made.

Stuart

IMG_5170.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG

IMG_5174.JPG

IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5176.JPG

IMG_5177.JPG

IMG_5179.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

Back