Plan set of a galleon from 1603. Based on the so-called "peller model"

The Germanic National Museum is in possession of the oldest datable ship model in Germany. The so-called Peller model. It is clearly dated to 1603.
The model is not a true-to-life representation of a ship. Rather, it is a votive vessel that was probably intended to hang in a church interior. Accordingly, its proportions are severely distorted and exaggerated.

For a long time I have been fascinated by this ship, which shows extremely interesting shipbuilding details. The only thing that annoyed me was the wrong proportions. So I decided to try to reconstruct a ship that could have been a real ship based on the Peller model.

This resulted in 5 planning boards that I would like to introduce to you. Contrary to the rigging of the model, the noticeable difference in my reconstruction was that I omitted the top sails and the sprit mast, which were extremely unlikely for the period around 1600.

Tafel1klein.png

Tafel 2klein.png

Bela

Last edited:
I would like to change the title of the thread to:
Plan set of a galleon from 1603. Based on the so-called "peller model"

.​
Hi Bela,
Very attractive design and from my favourite era. Thanks. I would also add that the Peller model 1603, as taken from Werner Jaeger's study, was just one of the basic, and often even decisive, items for my reconstruction of the rigging of another ship from that era.

.​

Thank you Waldemar.
It was a very exciting project to develop a ship from this era and familiarize myself with the methods of the Dutch.

Back