Personal lumberyards / extra stock

Even though I’m a newbie, I can already tell that I’m going to have extra stock at the completion on my Bluenose. In addition to what came with the kit, I’ve purchased a few other strips (and am planning on another trip to the hobby store today for more).

I currently put my stuff away after working on my ship on a daily basis as we have our 2 grandkids (1 and 6 years old) living with us. The basement is there when I need solitude, but I usually prefer to work and hang out with the family instead of isolating myself to the basement.

Currently I’m storing all of my wood in the Bluenose box, but I’m sure others have devised interesting ways to store and keep track of their personal lumberyards. Anyone care to share how they store their wood?

Exact.t where I store the extra stock from my Bluenose. Luckily we have two kitchens so I use the island and dining table in one of them for my boat yard.

I have three kit boxes full of strips, boards and dowels. And being something of a hoarder, I also save scraps in no particular order. Here they are ready to rumage through whenever I need something. I rarely find what I need. But I still fil up small boxes with scraps 'cause you never knowIMG_3337.JPG

OH YES STUART OH YEA. KNOW THAT WILL SHOW MY STORAGE HUGE AMOUNT OF TIMBER ON FOUR SHELVES IN CLOSET ALL FROM ABOUT 15 YEARS OF PURCHASE. TRYING TO KEEP IT SO I CAN FIND WHAT I NEED MOST OF THE TIME TO KNOW AVAIL. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

See photo below. I store my collection of extra wood standing on end in tubes about 12 inches long…the tubes are in a book or file size box. I can get 9 to 12 tubes in such a box. I cut the 12” tubes from longer mailing tubes that you can get online (or here in the States from the post office or an office supply stores) available in several diameters with 2” my most common size. With the wood strips standing on end I can easily find the sizes I need. I group the strips by wood type (basswood, box wood, walnut, etc). For flat pieces I got a small plastic trash can and I stand the flat pieces in that on end. I have the trash can filled with flat stock in the floor next to my work bench. After several models, especially if you get extra wood to up the quality of the wood from the kit, you will accumulate a good sized collection of extra wood. I have found this a great source of wood for kit building…always needing an extra few strips here and there…especially when kit bashing. Irreplaceable asset for scratch building anything…so save all that extra stuff! :)

IMG_1760.jpeg

Last edited:
I store my collection of extra wood standing on end in tubes about 12 inches long…the tubes are in a book or file size box. I can get 9 to 12 tubes in such a box. I cut the 12” tubes from longer mailing tubes that you can get online (or here in the States from the post office or an office supply stores) available in several diameters with 2” my most common size. With the wood strips standing on end I can easily find the sizes I need. I group the strips by wood type (basswood, box wood, walnut, etc). For flat pieces I got a small plastic trash can and I stand the flat pieces in that on end. I have the trash can filled with flat stock in the floor next to my work bench. After several models, especially if you get extra wood to up the quality of the wood from the kit, you will accumulate a good sized collection of extra wood. I have found this a great source of wood for kit building…always needing an extra few strips here and there…especially when kit bashing. Irreplaceable asset for scratch building anything…so save all that extra stuff! :)
Now tha'ts a great idea, mine are all mixed together and it is a chore to find something I need.

Back