Permission to come Aboard

As another new guy, I'm assuming this is getting posted. So greetings from Grass Valley, California.
I'm a retired Computer Systems Engineer, and, also retired from Solar Systems Design & Sales, plus a few other areas but I'll spare you further details.
I built my first model -- Britannia Racing Yacht 1893 Model Ship Kit back around 1990 (photo attached). Just to clarify, I did not assemble the hull, only assembled all the other fun components. I am currently in the process of refurbishing a (40" LOA) model sailing boat (see photo #0595) that I was lucky to find in a local thrift shop that someone had given up on completing (sadly). There were several missing components such as the boom and other deck components some of which I have hand-crafted, stained and installed. All of the sales are in surprisingly good condition; in fact, they still have the fold creases and I had to steam-iron them to remove the creases. My main issue now is to make, or have made, a new boom -as this was another missing component. So I am in need of a boat builder that can provide (or make) a 36" wooden boom -- (7/16" tapered to 1/4") from a dowel. I am checking around my local area and I have a couple of carpenter contacts that may be able to help but it's not confirmed. So if any boat builders have the time, equipment and capacity to make a boom for me, gladly pay for the service. Any leads to a boat builder who can craft a boom to the mentioned specifications appreciated.

Cheers,
Zaro

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

As another new guy, I'm assuming this is getting posted. So greetings from Grass Valley, California.
I'm a retired Computer Systems Engineer, and, also retired from Solar Systems Design & Sales, plus a few other areas but I'll spare you further details.
I built my first model -- Britannia Racing Yacht 1893 Model Ship Kit back around 1990 (photo attached). Just to clarify, I did not assemble the hull, only assembled all the other fun components. I am currently in the process of refurbishing a (40" LOA) model sailing boat (see photo #0595) that I was lucky to find in a local thrift shop that someone had given up on completing (sadly). There were several missing components such as the boom and other deck components some of which I have hand-crafted, stained and installed. All of the sales are in surprisingly good condition; in fact, they still have the fold creases and I had to steam-iron them to remove the creases. My main issue now is to make, or have made, a new boom -as this was another missing component. So I am in need of a boat builder that can provide (or make) a 36" wooden boom -- (7/16" tapered to 1/4") from a dowel. I am checking around my local area and I have a couple of carpenter contacts that may be able to help but it's not confirmed. So if any boat builders have the time, equipment and capacity to make a boom for me, gladly pay for the service. Any leads to a boat builder who can craft a boom to the mentioned specifications appreciated.

Cheers,
Zaro

View attachment 445718

View attachment 445720
That‘s a really long boom! Too long for my mini-lathe.

Welcome! 36" length for such a spindly tapered stick would be difficult to turn, even with a follow rest. It might be better to create a long jig with a V-notch (that should be tapered) and the use of a block plane to mill the edges as you turn the stock in small increments the sanding the boom after shaping. I have a lot of lathe (and machining) experience in addition to building bamboo fly rods. The rods are actually made with 6 triangular pieces then glued into a blank. I would not attempt to turn such a long, flexible item.Nuestra_708.jpgNuestra_707.jpgNuestra_706.jpgNuestra_742.jpg

Last edited:
Back