Period color scheme for 1840 Halcon Baltimore Schooner

Hello, I have been searching for the true color scheme for the 1840 Halcon Schooner ship does anyone have any info about a site or link i could use to research this

Hello, I have been searching for the true color scheme for the 1840 Halcon Schooner ship does anyone have any info about a site or link i could use to research this
US vessels around 1800 tended toward Royal Navy colours. Pale yellow and dark grey. The US adopted a white chequer ealy 1800's, The RN followed suit around 1830. So best guess is dark grey and white. Tom Lauria has a yt video on the impression of scale, which, as a marine artist is logical, black is replaced by grey to give the illusion of distance. In order to see a vessel without your eyes scanning left and right for bow and stern you must stand about 75 yards away. At this point black is filtered to grey (aeriel perspective)
RN ships were originally painted dark grey, not black.

Thank You Bob for reaching out, this is a BIG HELP and gives me a direction to go in.
You are more than welcome. However it only indicates possibilities! The hull of my Baltimore Clipper I opted for a uniform dark grey (in accordance with
Tom's thinking) In retrospect, it might be a little drab. I'm building something else while I'm thinking about it!20220610_015704.jpg
I'll be displaying this on a perspex 'sea' with rough water using Clearfix acrylic sealant (a hole in the perspex to fit the hull so you can see above and below the surface) It will probably liven it up?

I like the muted colors! Looks realistic.
Vr
Yes, Tom's logic is sound. I wasn't convinced watching his video, the theory was correct, but I didn't think it would make much difference on a model. I think I'll leave it as it is, I was considering a yellow band above the wales.

Back