Perfecting the hull

I am in the process of building the Bluejacket CSS Alabama, easily the hardest model I have attempted. I have completed the planking of the hull but have some small gaps between the planks and some waviness on the hull surface. I don’t want to sand too much of the hull thickness. Can you tell me what folks use to skim the surface of the hulls to sand it even and fill the cracks? Thanks. I’m sure this won’t be be only question (smile).

Assuming the gaps are indeed small I would squeeze a small amount of carpenters glue into the crack and then sand over the area with let’s say 400 grit sandpaper. I know arguments will be made to first mix the sawdust with the glue and then apply it. Both work but I prefer my way. It has been working for me for many years. In regards to the waviness sight down the hull and mark the area lightly with a pencil. Then take 300 to 400 grit sandpaper backed by a small piece of wood. Work the area carefully until by eye it looks right to you.

John

One more basic question. I keep seeing folks talking about double layers of planking on their models. I am in the process of building my third Bluejacket model and have never once seen any mention of double planking. When is this used?

If single planking it is the final look so to speak. Any errors will jump out to an observer. With double planking the first layer attaches the same but one has a bit of room for error. The hull can be sanded to perfection. Then a second layer of planking is applied, this one sometimes a very thin veneer. This planking now should be perfect hopefully. Although a lot more work I prefer the double planked. It makes for a solid model in my old opinion. I recently double planked a four foot monster model and to quote a phrase it is not for the faint of heart. What a task!

Now I understand. I experienced this first hand on this model. I have had to sand quite a bit on this one and the wall thickness in some areas is pretty thin. Next one will be double planked. Thanks.

A COUPLE OF THINGS, TO WHISKERS POINT I TO USE BOTH METHODS TO FILL GAPS AND I FIND USING THE GLUE FIRST AND THEN SANDING TO BE BETTER ALSO ON DOUBLE PLANKING IT IS NOT MY FAVORITE WORKING WITH VENEER IS PRETTY DIFICULT UNLESS IT IS THE NEWER TYPE KITS WITH PRE SPILING AFTER MANY DISASTERS TRYING TO SAND OUT THE SUPPLED PLANKS SANDING THROUGH IN SOME CASES WHAT I DO IS USE A THICKER MATERIAL LEAVING ENOUGH TO SAND IT DOWN SMOOTH I DO NOT LIKE MOST OF KIT SUPPLIED WOOD ANYWAY AND I DO HAVE GOOD AMOUNT OF WOOD ON HAND ALSO I FOUND SOME MINI SCRAPERS ON AMAZON THAT ONCE BURNISHED WORKS GREAT ON HULLS JUST ME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

NO NOT PUTTY KNIVES ACTUAL MINI SCRAPERS WILL SHOW A PICTURE OF THEM IN COMPARISON TO MY REGULAR SCRAPERS BUT IT HAS TO BE TOMORROW MORNING, ALSO A NEW BURNISHER I GOT FROM STEW MAC AS THEY HAVE TO BE BURNISHED AS THEY COME DULL. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

SORRY FOR THE DELAY PROBLEMS WITH BOT LAP TOP AND TABLET OK NOW HERE ARE THE PICTURES OF THE MINI SCRAPERS COMPARED WITH MY REGULAR ONES AND THE STW MACK BURNISHER A GREAT BURNISHER IT IS, HOPE THIS HELPS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

20220410_203208.jpg

SORRY FOR THE DELAY PROBLEMS WITH BOT LAP TOP AND TABLET OK NOW HERE ARE THE PICTURES OF THE MINI SCRAPERS COMPARED WITH MY REGULAR ONES AND THE STW MACK BURNISHER A GREAT BURNISHER IT IS, HOPE THIS HELPS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

View attachment 301715
Ah ha. I know exactly what you are talking about now. I have a few of those in my shop for woodworking. Thanks. Computers are great, when they work.

My answer for planking and seam gap problems is to mix fibre glass resin and generously paint it onto the inside of the hull so that it fills the seam gaps. Don't worry about it oozing out of the seams and dribbling down the bulwalks. Once cured it shaves / sands beautifully. And if you coat and sand/shave the hull with repeated coats of resin, you will end up with a hull 'baby bum' smooth, and STRONG!

I want to thank everyone for all the help in getting the hull in shape. I completed the planking with reasonable success. Some slight imperfections but you need to look closely to spot them, I think (smile). Next the gunport cleanup.

64B9ED5E-D5FA-4668-B8E5-B2D81A04B035.jpeg

D0E17BBF-1846-4DE0-8838-BDB2FE3099AB.jpeg

Back