Panart San Felipe - 1:75 Vintage

Well, I couldn't help myself. I have about 3 years of work sitting in drydock and what do I do? I add to it.

Picked up this beauty and I was really impressed when I opened it up. The quality of the brass parts are very impressive to me. The wood, brass, all looked to be in great shape and the kit is complete. All the full page drawings are there. Here are some photos. Not sure I am up to the task...but by the time I get to it...I am hoping my skills will be ready.

Well, a few photos and then re-box and put on the shelf for a couple of years........

IMG_7121.JPGIMG_7123.JPGIMG_7125.JPGIMG_7124.JPGIMG_7127.JPGIMG_7128.JPGIMG_7131.JPG

Many Thanks for showing us the content of this kit - it was one of the "once in a life I would like to have"-kit :cool:

Magnificent kit. The only thing is that the stern flag and the foremast flag are out of date. The current flag of Spain was created in 1785 as a war flag and later also a civil flag. The ship San Felipe is earlier.

Greetings

You will love this kit--the actual Panart version before Mantua Sergal got their hands on it. I built it about 10 years ago and loved every minute--the plans are great. If I had it to do over, I'd do something different with the stern rails--like actually fabricate them out of timber. Or even use a 3D printer because the metal ones in the kit don't look quite right. Have fun and good luck.

PS--My profile pic is my San Felipe. I took it outside and took some pictures.

You will love this kit--the actual Panart version before Mantua Sergal got their hands on it. I built it about 10 years ago and loved every minute--the plans are great. If I had it to do over, I'd do something different with the stern rails--like actually fabricate them out of timber. Or even use a 3D printer because the metal ones in the kit don't look quite right. Have fun and good luck.

PS--My profile pic is my San Felipe. I took it outside and took some pictures.
Thomas, where can we see more photos of your San Felipe?

Magnificent kit. The only thing is that the stern flag and the foremast flag are out of date. The current flag of Spain was created in 1785 as a war flag and later also a civil flag. The ship San Felipe is earlier.

Greetings
There were more than one San Felipe. The 1785 version was not the 1st one. So the flags depend on the year.

There were more than one San Felipe. The 1785 version was not the 1st one. So the flags depend on the year.
I am not a historian, but the supposed San Felipe ship on which this Panart kit is based dates back to 1690. It certainly cannot carry the flags it does. At least the stern one and the foresail one.
And it is possible that the stern pavilion was the Cross of Burgundy.

Greetings ;)

The San Felipe I am building dates from 1573-1576. I believe there is another one around 1589.
Correct, the Galeon San Felipe is one of the so-called Manila galleons. Later there were more Armada ships with this name. The Panart kit may be one of them.

Salud ;)

Back