New Vasa Reference Book - Vasa II

As many on these forums who have an interest in modelling of ships would be aware, occasionally there are seminal reference works which become available to assist in the accuracy and realism of the models we build. For many years, the Vasa I book "The Archaeology of a Swedish Warship of 1628" has stood as one such of these reference works (first published in 2006 and written by C.O. Cederlund, with editing by Dr Fred Hocker).

The second of these works, many years in the writing and with detailed research, will be finally released for sale. The book Vasa II will be available next Tuesday, the 21st of November, 2023. This book contains 476 pages and 400 illustrations, primarily about the rigging and steering on the ship and will stand as another reference work and a testament to the outstanding research and dedication by those within the Vasamuseet in Sweden and to this wonderfully preserved ship.

Requests for sale of the book can be made by contacting the Vasamuseet on the web or at:

STATENS MARITIMA OCH TRANSPORTHISTORISKA MUSEER / SWEDISH NATIONAL MARITIME AND TRANSPORT MUSEUMS
Marinmuseum | Sjöhistoriska museet | Vasamuseet | Vrak – Museum of Wrecks | Järnvägsmuseet

P.O. Box 27131 | SE-102 52 Stockholm
Tel: +46 8 519 548 06 | Mob: +46 705 30 48 06 | Fax: +46 8 519 548 94

Regards

PeterG

Many Many thanks for this info - long awaited publication

On the website of the museum I was not able to find an information , but maybe I was looking on the wrong areas - but maybe @fred.hocker knows more

I found this information on amazon

Vasa II:​

Rigging and sailing a Swedish warship of 1628.​

Part 1. The material remains and archaeological context​

Screenshot 2023-11-17 090954.png

When Vasa was raised in 1961, a lost world was revealed in astonishing detail. Among the most remarkable finds were the remains of the rigging. Normally shipwrecks offer only a few clues to the structure above the waterline, but on Vasa the lower masts, a myriad of blocks and deadeyes, hundreds of meters of rope and cable and – most astonishingly – nine sails from the ship and its boat survive. The unique finds provide an unparalleled opportunity to reconstruct the rigging in detail and to form an understanding of how ships were sailed in the seventeenth century. With a sail plan, rigging, and steering gear that are substantially different to the classical full-rigged ship of the nineteenth century, the evidence from Vasa paints a vivid picture of ship-handling in the Age of Sail. Vasa II Part 1 presents more than a thousand finds of wood, metal, and cloth from the most complete rig to survive from before 1800, which form the basis for a complete reconstruction of the rig and sailing performance of a large warship of the 1620s.

Publisher: Nordic Academic Press
ISBN: 9789188909114
Dimensions: 297 x 210 mm

But as release date is here written March 2024

Well, looks´like the beans have been spilled a little early. I would have posted here formally next week to coincide with the formal launch, but can tell everyone here that the long-awaited Vasa II will be launched on Tuesday, 21 November. You can get it from the museum directly if you visit the museum, otherwise it will be more convenient for you to purchase on line via AdLibris or other outlets. Please do not email the museum asking to buy it over the internet! We do not have the capacity for internet sales. The shop will only refer you to the publisher or the international distributors through AdLibris (not Amazon initially). Initial print run is 1700 copies, so get'em while they're hot.

Fred

Well, looks´like the beans have been spilled a little early. I would have posted here formally next week to coincide with the formal launch, but can tell everyone here that the long-awaited Vasa II will be launched on Tuesday, 21 November. You can get it from the museum directly if you visit the museum, otherwise it will be more convenient for you to purchase on line via AdLibris or other outlets. Please do not email the museum asking to buy it over the internet! We do not have the capacity for internet sales. The shop will only refer you to the publisher or the international distributors through AdLibris (not Amazon initially). Initial print run is 1700 copies, so get'em while they're hot.

Fred
Many Thanks for this detailed information - :cool:

Fred
seems that Adlibris is not posting international......

Hello everyone!
I am happy to inform you that Vasa II is now officially for sale. There are a number of ways to acquire the book. You can contact the museum shop, but that will be the most expensive option and not necessarily the fastest, since we do not have a dedicated mail order department. If you want your copy signed, that is the best option (I will go down to the shop and sign it before it is shipped).

Online distribution outside of Sweden is through Casemate, which has portals for both Europe and North America. The book is currently listed on their English site (www.casemateuk.com) at £75. I think it should soon be available through their North American site, but I am not in charge of distribution.

Within Sweden, the book is available in local bookshops via AdLibris.

Hope everyone enjoys it!

Fred

.​
@fred.hocker

On the very first day of availability, I ordered this monograph from the publisher Pen & Sword Books (still waiting for delivery). I must confess that my expectations are very high, indeed, as are the capabilities and reliability of the Vasa 1628 research team under your leadership. This long-awaited next part of the Vasa 1628 monograph, still gives me the chance to make any corrections or additions to my reconstruction of Sankt Georg 1627 before the plans are finally made into a commercial version. Again, many thanks to you and your team.
.​

Last edited:
Hello Fred,is the first volume vasa 1 still available to buy?if so where from?im from the uk regards Antony.

Thanks Fred,

I received my copy today.
Probably a bit slower for being all the way over in Australia! :)

Looks great.
I've already found heaps of useful details, railing fittings, blocks used w. sizes etc. Brilliant!
My copy had a couple of printing misses, but on the whole it contains a wealth of information.

I'm just wondering now when part 2 of Vasa II comes out!

Cheers,
Peter Jenssen

What a great book & valuable source @fred.hocker ! Thanks to the Vasa Museum.

Vasa II: Rigging and Sailing a Swedish Warship of 1628. The Material Remains and Archaeological Context

e7da0a973974b3134d04ebd2c2a9.jpg

a3be1bb61bb9704ec97499521ec7.jpg

fc03f4a003aac3dc0e9c4b60f7ed.jpg

4a4de1aac47d1d82302be8ab5a6c.jpg

31192f357dd2a4ebe2e63456037a.jpg

4e803a87d63f0ab7266dedad886c.jpg

479b3a2a020384e69dcaed2261d8.jpg

55c0cbc1ebce4ed47ed40d7325a2.jpg

cheers

Dirk

I would very much like to acquire also the book VASA I, but the asking price is now exorbitantly high, too high for me to make it justifiable. Prices of over $ 2000 are asked for a new version in the US. Used Us 800/900 and even higher.

@fred.hocker - the asking prices must be high because there is still a huge interest and maybe now an even greater interest after publishing the book VASA II. Might it be an idea for the museum to have a 2nd edition printed? I certainly would applaud a 2nd edition, and I think many with me.

Last edited:
Hi Herman,

We have discussed a second printing of Vasa I, although it would really need some updating if we did. Right now the focus is on getting the rest of the series out first. Another possibility is to make it available as an e-book, since we have the book in PDF form. Will keep the forum updated if we decide to take up either of these options.

Fred

Hello Fred. Thank you for your quick reply. I will keep my fingers crossed and thank you for keeping us updated.

Back