Need Suggestion

I just completed my 16th model, the Royal Caroline, 1:50 by ZHL. All have been mounted in acrylic cases. I am rapidly running out of space! The Royal Caroline was completed in about 500 hours, not including the time involved in completely tearing down the completed main mast due to extreme warping. I have now built 3 steamboats, the Morgan, Constitution, Amerigo and just about any other sailing vessel I can think of. I also built a Tug with running gear and an America's Cup racer. I want to continue for a little while longer (I am 84) but need suggestions on what to build. I can only build so many Revenue Cutters! I have never built a modern ship but they seem to be extremely small scale and I am not so confident in my aging eyes and hands. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Are there any really new kits out there?

As an added note, the Royal Caroline was a real pain in many ways. The ZHL product was not in English and I used many other sources during my build including the "Anatomy of the Ship" book. My 500 hours does not include the many hours I spent on the computer trying to search out details on the ship's rigging. Even the AOS has conflicting rigging and pin placement issues. I finally had to rely on basic common sense. Certainly various Captains would have ad their own preferences, but simplicity and consistency is probably common to all. Rigging was probably somewhat different from ship to ship and even on the same ship over its lifetime.

If you are after a challenge and are struggling with space how about 0ne of the ships boats from ZHL or CAF they are 1/48 so not too small and can be made into an excellent small model
Andy

If you are after a challenge and are struggling with space how about 0ne of the ships boats from ZHL or CAF they are 1/48 so not too small and can be made into an excellent small model
Andy
Thank you Andy for your suggestion. I will look at the CAF offerings but will avoid the ZHL offerings due to the bad experience I had with their 1:50 Royal Caroline (no English translation). Some of their materials were great (strip woods) but their blocks and rigging thread were, to me, terrible. I might eventually choose a steam powered frigate, such as the USS Kearsarge by Bluejacket.

For something different look at DUMAS Products, they make a wide variety of ships and submarines.

One of my favorites are there Chris Craft series of speed boats and cabin cruisers. No sails, but sill a challenge to build, and they are large scale for experienced eyes!

Andy
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the CAF site and am interested in the "Le Requin". It would be my second frame on frame build. Are CAF and ZHL one in the same?

Now that WOULD be a challenge
I think but by no means certain that CAF is more of a kit designer...you can buy their products from ZHL. I am not sure about better instructions though check out a build on here
If you want great step by step instructions then look at Caldercraft or Model Shipways especially the ones designed by Chuck from another well known modeling forum.I have built Syren and Confederacy both great instructions though I am not too keen on the timber used. Caldercraft also use CNC routed parts so no dreadful char.I have built Agamememnon a lovely kit.Snake and Pickle all with great instructions
Hope this helps and doesn't confuse your choice even more !
Andy

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the CAF site and am interested in the "Le Requin". It would be my second frame on frame build. Are CAF and ZHL one in the same?
CAF is designing, producing and selling only their own kits - so a manufacturer.
ZHL is mainly a shop selling kits from different manufacturers. So your kit of Royal Caroline was not manufactured by ZHL, but from another company, but sold by ZHL. So with your kit ZHL was the dealer only.

Thanks! I came to this conclusion after noting that CAF had recently resolved some of their own infringement problems. So, can I order, or should I order, from CAF directly?

So, can I order, or should I order, from CAF directly?
Off course
and if you have any problems missing parts, or you damaged something during modeling you can get in contact with them and get replacement parts without any problems

For something different look at DUMAS Products, they make a wide variety of ships and submarines.

One of my favorites are there Chris Craft series of speed boats and cabin cruisers. No sails, but sill a challenge to build, and they are large scale for experienced eyes!
I’m not keen on dumas. I built the moran tug and it was ok, then I bought the tuna clipper and it sits in the garage half done probably headed to the fire pit. I feel properly ripped off with that one

I built the shelly foss tug and also the tuna clipper. I learned alot building them as they were the first wooden boats I had ever built. I also made a lot of mistakes that I had to cut or sand away and redo. But for me thats how I learn.

CAF is designing, producing and selling only their own kits - so a manufacturer.
ZHL is mainly a shop selling kits from different manufacturers. So your kit of Royal Caroline was not manufactured by ZHL, but from another company, but sold by ZHL. So with your kit ZHL was the dealer only.
So----ZHL is more like a Hobby Shop, of which there are none, located in my area. Hobby Lobby is the nearest source to me for basic needs such as glues. Buying over the web is convenient but the shipping costs can exceed the cost of some purchases. I spent some time on the CAF web site but it appeared to me that the site itself was not yet complete. I was interested in the Requin but wasn't able to get answers to a few questions. Finally placed an order to Stella's HMS Ontario. This should keep me busy for another year and it appears to be a well thought out kit. Now awaiting a case for my Royal Caroline. I have my cases made by a cabinet maker using a wooden base with an acrylic top fitted into a groove routed into the base.

I’m not keen on dumas. I built the moran tug and it was ok, then I bought the tuna clipper and it sits in the garage half done probably headed to the fire pit. I feel properly ripped off with that one

I built dumas moran tug( changed stack to McAllister colors ) it was ok. Then I bought the tuna clipper and will never buy another dumas kit.

Thank you Andy for your suggestion. I will look at the CAF offerings but will avoid the ZHL offerings due to the bad experience I had with their 1:50 Royal Caroline (no English translation). Some of their materials were great (strip woods) but their blocks and rigging thread were, to me, terrible. I might eventually choose a steam powered frigate, such as the USS Kearsarge by Bluejacket.
I just completed my 16th model, the Royal Caroline, 1:50 by ZHL. All have been mounted in acrylic cases. I am rapidly running out of space! The Royal Caroline was completed in about 500 hours, not including the time involved in completely tearing down the completed main mast due to extreme warping. I have now built 3 steamboats, the Morgan, Constitution, Amerigo and just about any other sailing vessel I can think of. I also built a Tug with running gear and an America's Cup racer. I want to continue for a little while longer (I am 84) but need suggestions on what to build. I can only build so many Revenue Cutters! I have never built a modern ship but they seem to be extremely small scale and I am not so confident in my aging eyes and hands. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Are there any really new kits out there?

As an added note, the Royal Caroline was a real pain in many ways. The ZHL product was not in English and I used many other sources during my build including the "Anatomy of the Ship" book. My 500 hours does not include the many hours I spent on the computer trying to search out details on the ship's rigging. Even the AOS has conflicting rigging andrr pin placement issues. I finally had to rely on basic common sense. Certainly various Captains would have ad their own preferences, but simplicity and consistency is probably common to all. Rigging was probably somewhat different from ship to ship and even on the same ship over its lifetime.
How about something from occre.?at least you would get some good instructions. How about the occre ulisses tug. No rigging!!
You can make the radio control version if you want more challenge. From Bob

I've done the RC bit. Made a tug boat complete with a working water cannon. Ran it about a pond on my club's golf course. Putters did not appreciate the humor of the water cannon! Just purchased HMS Ontario from Marestella. John Andele was most helpful and sensitive to my requirements. Looking forward to receiving it in the near future.

Back