Morse Taper Adapter?

Hello Everyone. This is a shout out to anyone with the knowledge.

I am the proud owner of a Sherline lathe and mill. The mill uses a MT1 headstock spindle. This is as small as it gets and appropriate for its design. I have found though, that many more tools, collets and chucks are available at MT2. I have found MT1 collet chucks, but the the largest they accommodate is 3/8" or 10mm.

As far as adapters, I have found many that reduce MT2 connections to MT1, but as you imagine nothing going "up" from MT1 to MT2.

Does anyone have any knowledge of a "plug n play", or manual workaround solution for my dilemma?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Hi Ken

MTx -> MTx+1 adaptors do exist but necessarily they protrude a looong way out of the headstock which could cause some rigidity issues. They'd also use up a significant proportion of your available bed length which may be an issue.

Here are some larger ones, I'm sure a MT1-> MT2 adaptors would be around, perhaps try a local model engineering supplier, if they don't have them they'd likely know where to look.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/drill-sleeve-extensions

Mark

What Mark said.
They make the adapter you are looking for however they will extend the length of what you are using by twice. On a small lathe such as you have it would limit you. Look at Amazon they have one listed

.​
I have already gone through this problem myself, the only difference being that I did the upgrade from MT2 to MT3, by purchasing the appropriate adapter, and such adapters are indeed commercially available. Yet, exactly for the reasons Mark writes about, such an enlarging adapter proved practically useless, and this will most likely be the same in your case.

However, if you decide to purchase such a Morse taper enlarging adapter, make sure it has an axial through hole for the retaining screw, otherwise the tools or holders would be easily liable to fall out of it due to the inevitable vibrations during turning w/o lathe tailstock support and especially milling. Only drilling is safe without such additional securing.

In fact, I have found that the only effective solution for small machine tools is to buy, modify or even make your own tools or tool holders with the correct taper, in your case MT1.

Making a proper Morse taper is not that difficult, although of course it will be in soft, unhardened steel. They are not inferior, but require a little more care to prevent accidental damage.
.​

Hi Ken

MTx -> MTx+1 adaptors do exist but necessarily they protrude a looong way out of the headstock which could cause some rigidity issues. They'd also use up a significant proportion of your available bed length which may be an issue.

Here are some larger ones, I'm sure a MT1-> MT2 adaptors would be around, perhaps try a local model engineering supplier, if they don't have them they'd likely know where to look.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/drill-sleeve-extensions

Mark
Hi Mark,
Thanks for responding. The point you make with the adapter being long is one of the concerns I have had. The spindle column on the Sherline I have is like the mill, smaller than most. Hind sight being 20/20, I would have ordered the option for the extended column.

It seems the Hare & Forbes site is under maintenance. I've bookmarked it for later.

Thanks again.

What Mark said.
They make the adapter you are looking for however they will extend the length of what you are using by twice. On a small lathe such as you have it would limit you. Look at Amazon they have one listed
@rtibbs, I did find one on Amazon and added it to my wish list hoping someone might respond with a link to that very item. :) But, as you stated, it would reduce my vertical range by 40%. Ironically, the reasoning behind the requirement to go MT1>MT2 is to not only have a wider set of tools available to use, but larger tools themselves. Typically, I would only use larger tools and cutters for larger pieces of stock...see where I'm going here? ROTF Thanks for your input and help.

.​
I have already gone through this problem myself, the only difference being that I did the upgrade from MT2 to MT3, by purchasing the appropriate adapter, and such adapters are indeed commercially available. Yet, exactly for the reasons Mark writes about, such an enlarging adapter proved practically useless, and this will most likely be the same in your case.

However, if you decide to purchase such a Morse taper enlarging adapter, make sure it has an axial through hole for the retaining screw, otherwise the tools or holders would be easily liable to fall out of it due to the inevitable vibrations during turning w/o lathe tailstock support and especially milling. Only drilling is safe without such additional securing.

In fact, I have found that the only effective solution for small machine tools is to buy, modify or even make your own tools or tool holders with the correct taper, in your case MT1.

Making a proper Morse taper is not that difficult, although of course it will be in soft, unhardened steel. They are not inferior, but require a little more care to prevent accidental damage.
.​
@Waldemar,
Thanks for the insight on my dilemma. I'm always glad to hear I'm not alone. :) :confused: Your experience, along with the others has helped me in the decision making progress. I'm hesitant to cut my own taper with my experience. Too many variables and points of failure for my comfort to make a tool that would not be a hardened product.

I've got a call into Sherline's tech guy to see what he comes up with. I'm pretty sure he must have heard this question before.

I think the worst case scenario is I order a few tool holder blanks from Sherline and cut my own to hold the shanks of the tools I use the most.
Thanks again for offering your experience!

Guys, I followed the link to Australia. When I read the original request from Hoss I didn’t know exactly what the conversation was about. After going to the website…I knew it wasn’t the meat handling equipment… I followed the clues… I got a rapid education. Thanks to all for sharing your insights… learning something new everyday. I happen to know the maintenance engineer at my apartment complex who was trained as a machinist…a conversation that he’ll be glad to have.

Back