Model Airways Sopwith Camel

IGR

I have just finished the Model Airways Sopwith Camel after having done the Albatros a few years ago. I found the build not to difficult but that does not apply to using the instructions which are rather poor and in no way can be compared to that of Artesania. Also all measurements are in inches only and the timber and parts are limited so no errors can be made.

I had to spend a lot of time reading on the web and could only find two sources that provided some clarity, one from JA Blackwell and the other from Brian Colton on https://sopwithcamelbuildlog.tumblr.com/

So I decided to add this document with my humble opinions and suggestions. Trust you find it useful.

Albatros vs Sopwith Camel 1.jpg

I have created a .bmp file that contains pictures of the instruments. Please contact me and I will send it as I cannot post the .bmp on the site. I have attached a .jpg to illustrate. I print it at a scale of 5% and I get what you see below.

1690642699572.jpeg

Attachments

• Model Airways Sopwith Camel Build.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Many thanks for sharing these information - it will help others to build such highly interesting models

Great job! I can’t wait to build my Albatros. ;)
You must watch what you ask for Dean: after all it is or could be a real Albatros.

What is the meaning of Albatros?

1. : a large white ocean bird that has very long wings. 2. : a continuing problem that makes it difficult or impossible to do or achieve something.

Hope you have fun and it doesn't become a problem build.

I am thinking of starting my SC. I am wondering how long did it take you to build it?

I would say you an do a great job in 3 mths or so depending on time spent per day 4-6 hrs

I agree with Dean - use the available build logs as that will give you suggestions and help to avoid mistakes. In my build log I also refer you to other build logs that was of great help to me. Your biggest issue with the MA kit is the poor quality of instructions and the lack of jig's which are critical to getting the fuselage and wings correct.

Back