Mistake with bulwarks

7ED

Hello,

First time modeler here. I had a crooked keel on my s. Trinidad kit that causes all sorts of problems down the line. To get the decks to fit properly I ended up sanding aggressively. Unfortunately, when I put on the top bulwarks they now slant inward when they are supposed to go up straight. Does anyone have tips on how to fix this? I have an electric plank bender if I really had to take a heater to these straight on the ship.

9AD6522B-94E4-4857-BA07-7AA43DCB459B.jpeg

If you glued the Bulwards on with PVA, you could try running down the outside of the join with a domestic iron whilst gently teasing them outward with the fingers of your other hand working along from one end to the other.

The heat will soften the glue and it should resolidify when it cools.It will be a slowish job that you may have to repeat a couple of times.

Needless to say, don't touch your fingers with the iron!

Good Luck

Nigel

If you glued the Bulwards on with PVA, you could try running down the outside of the join with a domestic iron whilst gently teasing them outward with the fingers of your other hand working along from one end to the other.

The heat will soften the glue and it should resolidify when it cools.It will be a slowish job that you may have to repeat a couple of times.

Needless to say, don't touch your fingers with the iron!

Good Luck

Nigel
Yes! Wear leather work gloves!

We all get in problems like this. If you are careful, clever, and patient, you'll come up with a way to straighten them out. It may take a few passes. If you have a series of stiff sticks to wedge between the bulwarks at the top edge at regular intervals, then apply the heat to the glue, then allow to cool, the bulwarks will shift outward, and then you remove the sticks. It will be best to do this at least twice with longer and longer sticks until the bulwarks are where you want them. If you use too few sticks, waves in the bulwarks may result. When reshaping, it's best to go slow or things break. Avoid the *crunch*.

Last edited:
Hi 7ED,
The only think that I can suggest is to slowly run a scalpel along the Super glued edge until you can get the Bulwarks separated and then glue a thin strip of wood level with the deck then refit the Bulwarks.
It will not be easy but take your time.
You may even be able to cut through the joint enough to drive a thin strip in and then re glue.

I use a product Called HPD, Hi-performance distributors, CA glue Remover. Manufactured by BSI Atascadero, California. It works very well for debonding wood surfaces glued with CA glue. Started using it years ago for my fingers which may have got glued together;)

CA Debonder works well. I use it to remove mistakes. I use a small paint brush and wet any seam that's accessible. Just like vinegar on PVA glue you must keep rewetting the CA area with the debonder. PVA usually comes right off, but I've found I have to sort-of force the CA apart by wiggling the piece with tweezers or using a thin #11 xacto blade.

Thanks all! I ended up using a plank bender to slowly bend the planks outward. I then filled a small crack in the bulwark with superglue. Its not perfectly 90 degrees, but its close.

Back