Midwest Sea Bright Dory Build Log NCC (Navy-Curtis Craft) 1:16 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I was scratching my head about that after layers them in. I can always unglue them a little alcohol and resand them.

Thanks a lot for the tip. I really appreciate it…

I’m not happy with the inside paint and I think I should’ve painted it before laying the ribs…. Or even spray painted…

Something I did not think of. I will take care of that next week.

Thanks much for that tip!

BMT

Been a way for a number of weeks for some soccer stuff, but I came back, and I laid the rail and the oars locks placed in. Finish up the oars themselves tomorrow. Maybe give it to my sister at the end of the week.

BMTIMG_4058.jpegIMG_4059.jpeg

Your model looks great, it may not be perfectly the way you would like it, but I bet not all of the original boats were built 100% perfect either.

Build complete! Except for the decals showing Atlantic City. They were so dry they didn’t come off the paper to be stuck on the side of the Dory. I thought about gluing them on, but it didn’t look good. I did send a note to model expo. Maybe they have a spare set of decals and can send my way.

Anyway a fun build, and again a good learning experience on planking.

My next project maybe the Maria HF. 31 or the USCG Harriet Lane or civil War coffee wagon.

Thanks again for all the tips and tricks.

BMTIMG_4063.jpegIMG_4062.jpegIMG_4061.jpegIMG_4060.jpegIMG_4063.jpegIMG_4062.jpegIMG_4060.jpegIMG_4061.jpeg

Congratulations for finishing this model - well done

Been under the weather for the last two weeks, the Covid has not disappeared.

Anyway, I did the planking ( one plank left) and started working on the oars in between.

I think I’m getting a little better at planking. I did buy the heated plank bender, gave it a whirl, and it did work.

Hopefully, I can get a goodly amount of this done before I have to travel again next Tuesday.

BMT
View attachment 378688
Any chance that you can give me a pic of the back of hull please
Been under the weather for the last two weeks, the Covid has not disappeared.

Anyway, I did the planking ( one plank left) and started working on the oars in between.

I think I’m getting a little better at planking. I did buy the heated plank bender, gave it a whirl, and it did work.

Hopefully, I can get a goodly amount of this done before I have to travel again next Tuesday.

BMT
View attachment 378688
Any chance that I can have a pic of the outside of the stern, please? Not sure that I have the transition of the keel to the hull correct. Thank you.

I’ll take a look if I have any other photos but I gave the boat to my sister. I don’t have with me anymore.

Any chance that I can have a pic of the outside of the stern, please? Not sure that I have the transition of the keel to the hull correct. Thank you.
Cousin Colin:
Hope these help you. First pic shows the lines of a Sea Bright skiff from "Building Classic Small Craft" by John Gardner. Second pic shows construction details of the stern. Third is a photo of my skiff, which was built to Gardner's lines. She is fiberglass but the 3-D view may be of help. Gardner's design has a more V-shaped transom than the Midwest model, which has a more U-shaped transom similar to those built by Charles Hankins in Lavalette NJ. Otherwise, the designs are quite similar. Another book that you might want to read is "The Sea Bright Skiff and Other Jersey Shore Boats" by Peter Guthorn.
Fair winds!

hannah lines.jpghannah stern details.jpghannah skeg.jpg

Back