Midwest Models Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Very nice! I'm just about finished my Muscongus Bay lobster smack, a Midwest kit version. Just got a few details to tidy up. Looking at yours as well as the one done by priorityaces, the Model Shipways version appears to be a better kit... for the same price.
I noticed on yours that you have oars. The Midwest kit does not although it has oarlocks. Looks like I'm fabricating some oars.
Again, well done and thank you for sharing.
...henry

Very nice! I'm just about finished my Muscongus Bay lobster smack, a Midwest kit version. Just got a few details to tidy up. Looking at yours as well as the one done by priorityaces, the Model Shipways version appears to be a better kit... for the same price.
I noticed on yours that you have oars. The Midwest kit does not although it has oarlocks. Looks like I'm fabricating some oars.
Again, well done and thank you for sharing.
...henry
I believe the oars were for maneuvering the craft more precisely over the lobster pot locations with the sails down, so I included them. The oarlocks were included in the kit even though the oars were not, so I made the oars and shipped them aboard. The friendship sloop was the same boat converted to a yacht as a pleasure craft. They are quite lovely and graceful under sail. I have seen one under sail in Maine. The Friendship sloop added four shrouds, whereas the lobster smack version does not have them. I haven't seen the MS reissue; I expect they've made some improvements. Mine I made maybe a dozen years ago.
Thanks for the feedback!
Pete

Last edited:
Thanks, Quint!
I filled in between the bulkheads with pieces of basswood 1/8" x3/8" strip, leaving the outer surface a little proud beyond the curve of the bulkheads. Then sanded, filled and faired that to shape. I planked over the surface with Tanganika veneer strips above the waterline and mahogany below using Loctite brand CA gel. The veneer strips can take a little bend across the width. I've done most of my models this way. This gives me the kind of surface to work with as does a solid hull. Gluing pieces of basswood 1/8" strip between the bulk heads gives me a surface I can deal with the way I would a carved hull and then can plank over it, using the veneer strips which give a nicely planked effect and a natural wood surface to finish. I used this same method on my "Fair American" and the Baltimore Clipper models (Which had carved solid hulls) On the "Glad tidings" I did the same thing, only used a yellow ocher wash over the Tanganika above the waterline and a red wash below the waterline over the mahogany to suggest the colors of the paint scheme yet allowing the warmth and mellowness of the natural wood to come through. I'm a dinosaur and grew up with a taste for carving and shaping wood, and subtle wood finishing was my trade, preserving the patina of antique finishes. While I admire and follow all the two-layer POB planking method and POF model builds, I just found a way to use what I know and like doing when it came to making wood ship models. I like the old-time appeal, and an antique vibe.Ship-1
My favorite veneer strip wood was the Tanganika, but it's getting hard to come by.
Happy and merry Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year! :D

Pete

Last edited:
Pete -
Had I a few more years of ship modeling under my belt, or delayed my build of the Midwest Lobster Smack to read of your planking technique, it would have saved a lot of time, sandpaper, putty, and angst in order to get the solid sides to bend and fit properly. It was a nightmare. But I've now completed it and time to move on to my next build, Occre Polaris.
Again, thanks for sharing.
...henry

I'm currently wrestling with a nightmare of a POB Mamoli "Flying Cloud" hull. What a piece of crap! I've had an old Bluejacket semi-carved solid Flying Cloud hull that I bought for $25 years ago. It's the same scale as the Mamoli POB model. I wish I had started with that! I'd be ready for planking by now. Instead, I've wasted days of work trying to bash that Mamoli POSh** hull into shape. I may yet throw it in the bin and use that nicely roughed out Bluejacket hull. They discontinued the model years ago. God only knows why. I could use it and all the other stuff that came with the Mamoli kit and still come out ahead.
Best (where I'm concerned) to stick with what I know.
Enjoy the Polaris. I understand that Occre makes a pretty nice product. The design flaws are still inherent in every Mamoli product I've bought.
I know what you mean about the time, sandpaper and putty!

All that aside, have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy and prosperous new year! Explosion

Pete:D

Peter, I'm a little late viewing your post, sorry. Your model of the lobster smack looks terrific!! I whish I had seen your post before I had finished my lobster smack. I would have used some of your enhancements. Again, great looking model.

Peter, I'm a little late viewing your post, sorry. Your model of the lobster smack looks terrific!! I whish I had seen your post before I had finished my lobster smack. I would have used some of your enhancements. Again, great looking model.
Whatever you can work out to get the results you want is the "right" way to proceed. That and the kindness of strangers. ;)
Thanks for the appreciation. Very encouraging!

Back