Michael USS Constitution

Michaels USS Constitution
Back in the late 70's and low 80s' a freind had build his model USS Constitution and had a glass cube made for it and I was completly in awe viewing what he had done, it was magnificent, beautifly done.
My background back when I was very young, my brothers and I, were always making some models, There was a fabulous hobby shop in town where we seemed to frequent more that any other places so were always building some models, cars and boats and airplanes but nothing we ever really could quite finish and display.
So back in the late 70s I bought the Revell USS Constitution 1:96 0398 plastic model the (largest I could get) but it had to stay in a box for a few years as work, marriage and building a new home took all the time I had, but as time went on I set a work station in the home and started the build, I wanted it to be the best piece of work I could make it.
I got the ship build put together up the point of rigging, it was turning out beautifully. I needed to stop work on it as I needed to change jobs and give that all I could, so I had mounted the hull on a finished wood platform bolted the hull to it, I constructed a wood base for a flat bottom and constructed a Polished Plexiglass 5 panel enclusure wiyh 45 degree corners glued with clear soldvent based adheasive - to set on the wood platform in a grove to seal the unit dust proof. I added 2 hooks on the sides of the wood base to be able to hange it on a wall with Eye hooks and rope in a elevated corner of our main room and put the assembly up and there it had to set for a while longer unfished. I was looking fabulous. Fast foward ten years and we moved from Ill, to Tucson AZ. and the ship and its Display is still intact up on a high shelf waiting to be finished.
Now 25 years later I want to set up a new work area and complete the Riging most likley standing rigging or full sale as now there are companys that sell cloth sails specific for the USS Constitution which I prefered rather then the plastic ones that came with the ship. I also want to illuminate (High light the ship with LED light) remote controlled so I can display it as it should be.
The LED lighting will really help to display the ditail of the ship and be quit show pc. theres a possibility as the masts are not mounted yet the hollow may be utilized for the this low voltage LED - has anyone done lighting like this ? any sugestions ? andthing will help thanks

Also from me a warm welcome to the forum and have fun.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
I am by myself not a friend of LED ligthing, but there are several other members, which are using these material with great success.
I am pretty sure, that you will find here a lot of information and assistance in your project finalizing the model.
Maybe the best is to start your own building log, showing the actual status and asking the necessary questions....

Welcome to the forums!

If I understand you correctly, you don’t want lights inside the ship, but you want them inside the case for display lighting? If I’m correct, try these. LED light tape. ( that’s a link) you will want to put a strip of some sort of trim to hide the lights then attach the tape lights on the inside of the case. I hope that helps!

Jeff

Michaels USS Constitution
Back in the late 70's and low 80s' a freind had build his model USS Constitution and had a glass cube made for it and I was completly in awe viewing what he had done, it was magnificent, beautifly done.
My background back when I was very young, my brothers and I, were always making some models, There was a fabulous hobby shop in town where we seemed to frequent more that any other places so were always building some models, cars and boats and airplanes but nothing we ever really could quite finish and display.
So back in the late 70s I bought the Revell USS Constitution 1:96 0398 plastic model the (largest I could get) but it had to stay in a box for a few years as work, marriage and building a new home took all the time I had, but as time went on I set a work station in the home and started the build, I wanted it to be the best piece of work I could make it.
I got the ship build put together up the point of rigging, it was turning out beautifully. I needed to stop work on it as I needed to change jobs and give that all I could, so I had mounted the hull on a finished wood platform bolted the hull to it, I constructed a wood base for a flat bottom and constructed a Polished Plexiglass 5 panel enclusure wiyh 45 degree corners glued with clear soldvent based adheasive - to set on the wood platform in a grove to seal the unit dust proof. I added 2 hooks on the sides of the wood base to be able to hange it on a wall with Eye hooks and rope in a elevated corner of our main room and put the assembly up and there it had to set for a while longer unfished. I was looking fabulous. Fast foward ten years and we moved from Ill, to Tucson AZ. and the ship and its Display is still intact up on a high shelf waiting to be finished.
Now 25 years later I want to set up a new work area and complete the Riging most likley standing rigging or full sale as now there are companys that sell cloth sails specific for the USS Constitution which I prefered rather then the plastic ones that came with the ship. I also want to illuminate (High light the ship with LED light) remote controlled so I can display it as it should be.
The LED lighting will really help to display the ditail of the ship and be quit show pc. theres a possibility as the masts are not mounted yet the hollow may be utilized for the this low voltage LED - has anyone done lighting like this ? any sugestions ? andthing will help thanks
Hallo @Michael D
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back