Mayflower II

Greetings and Happy New Year to All!
On Friday, I made my way to Mystic Seaport for what is my at least annual visit. I was pleased to see the Mayflower II hauled out for seasonal protection and repair; she was at Mystic Seaport for an overhaul which ended in 2020 and I did not get to see her. Friday was a treat.

To this point, I have several decent photographs of her, primarily of her undersides, but also her superstructure, just not the deck level. Her masts fore and main masts were down to their crow's nests and the mizzen mast was not visible. Reasonable strip-down. I noticed a bit of hogging on her keel.

If there is a way to share these more broadly, (e.g. an archive, a fileshare link, etc.) I welcome knowing that. Being relatively new and generally lurking here, I wanted to at least share some research materials. I have photos of other ships from Mystic Seaport as well, if there is any interest, though these may be common enough already.

As an aside, I imagine the topic of historic ships which are only described verbally over the centuries, but have no contemporary documentation, can be a strongly discussed, "How accurate can such a model be?", and all that. Instead, ships "of type" are commonly qualifiers. To my mind, Mayflower II has earned its status in its own right and was born of "best available research" by William A. Baker, over 67 years ago.

Again, a Happy and Healthy New Year to all! May you all be well and content.

Brad

1/6/2024 Edit: Adding more photos.

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0120.JPGIMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

Last edited:
Back