Mast/yard clearance

I'm messing with hanging the yard on the foremast of the Discovery1789. There seems to be no room for the yard to swing without running into the foremost shroud. I've read that the yard could be at up to 60 degrees from the centerline and that just can't happen on this ship as it is. I've read that the catharpins pulled the shroud in to give a little more room but here that doesn't seem like enough. It occurred to me that when the sails were full the wind would push the yard forward so that it wouldn't be right against the mast. This would give more clearance for the yard to swing. Is this what happens or have I done something stupid like putting the shrouds too far forward or something? Thanks

Interesting question. I understand that in some cases the forward most shroud was set up with blocks as opposed to deadeyes, so that it could more readily be loosened for the purpose of bracing the yard hard over. I've been told the "Constitution'' was set up that way. But I am not absolutely sure. Perhaps one of the better-informed members will provide the answer.

That's interesting. I can see using using tackle in the foremost shroud. When the ship is reaching most of the strain would be on the windward shrouds. Slacking off the leeward fore shroud would not hurt anything. I just took a look at the Discovery and slacking the fore shroud does not allow a whole lot more movement but I guess every little bit helps. If you can sail a tad closer to the wind than the next guy,, you win :)
All that said I have never seen any pictures that show this.

That's interesting. I can see using using tackle in the foremost shroud. When the ship is reaching most of the strain would be on the windward shrouds. Slacking off the leeward fore shroud would not hurt anything. I just took a look at the Discovery and slacking the fore shroud does not allow a whole lot more movement but I guess every little bit helps. If you can sail a tad closer to the wind than the next guy,, you win :)
All that said I have never seen any pictures that show this.
I have a vague recollection that "Le Hermione" was set up that way when I saw her in Annapolis a few years back.
I will go back and take a look at the "Constitution" Anatomy of a Ship book pictures.

Back