mary rose

what i am interested in is how the hull of the Mary Rose is framed up.

Take a close look at the San Juan shipwreck model

RedBayShip02.jpg
looking closer at the stern notice there is no deadwood or 1/2 frames the floors are a V shaped timber with the first futtocks between the floors.

RedBayShip stern.jpg

here is an old illustration dated around 1600 of how a hull is built notice again no deadwood and V shaped floors in the stern.

hm3.JPG

going back and looking at the San Juan shipwreck those V shaped floors in real life would be huge. It would take a timber 8 feet long x 4 feet wide and 8 inches thick.
There is no tree on earth other than a giant redwood or a giant Sequoia to cut such a large piece.
The stern frame floors had to be made up of pieces so i was testing ideas.

Untitled2.jpgUntitled3.jpgUntitled4.jpg

Here is where the Mary Rose comes in how was it framed like this? If yes does the book show how the stern was built?

DSCN0464.JPG

Were French ship built without cant frames in the stern and bow and did the French build stern frames with floors that crossed the deadwood?

Trees do indeed grow in the odd shapes to make the deep V-shaped floor timbers in the stern of San Juan and Mary Rose, since that is what is found in the wrecks of these ships and many others. But they are not straight balks out of which one cuts a V-shape. They are the trunk and a branch which have grown in the right shape, and finding such trees was part of the skill set of the wooden shipwright and timber merchant.

thank you Fred i thought wow those must of been huge slabs of wood but yet there they are. Your post made me think of courses they searched for standing timber to match the patterns needed.

Back