Mantua MA720 HMS Victory 1:200 - Anybody have experience?

Hey guys. As I close in on completing my first build, I'm looking around for the next project. I wanted to step it up and challenge myself a bit more, but I still need to be budget conscious and also keep the size down a bit. With that in mind, I found the Mantua HMS Victory 1:200 kit on Ages of Sail, and it seems to fit the bill on both my requirements, but the photos they have (which they point out in the description) are from the much larger and more expensive 1:78 model. I've been looking on here and other places for more photos/info on the 1:200, but can't seem to find much. Anybody here built this model, or know anything about it?

Thanks!

Hi,
I had the same Mantua 1/200 kit of the Victory but regretfully found that my eyesight and dexterity were not up to dealing with such tiny components. I did go on to build the DeAgostini part-work Victory in 1/94 scale which was (to me) much more manageable - I put a build log of this project on SOS if you wanted to see that.
I have taken a couple of photos of some of the 1/200 components against a ruler to illustrate their size and can post them here if that would be useful. Overall, the kit is OK (though some of the laser-cut parts seem very thin and fragile) but make sure your eyesight and dexterity are good before you spend your cash on the kit!
Best wishes. Mike

Thanks for the info, Mike. Eyesight and dexterity aren't really a problem, I'm an electronics tech by trade, so I'm used to working with small components, and I have a lighted bench magnifier as well. I took a look at your build log, and it looks great! Unfortunately, the De Agostini is outside of both my size and price range at the moment. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would like to look at the photos you mentioned. No rush, I'm still working on the current build for another week or so.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the kind words re the De Agostini build. It took about two and a half years to do, but since I'm retired it filled a lot of otherwise idle hours and kept me out of the wife's way too!

I regret I never built the Mantua Victory - after it sat on a shelf for several years I confess I cannibalised some of its parts to use in a restoration I'm doing of HMS Bounty. I'll probably post the photos from that project once it's complete.

Here's the three photos I mentioned - single blocks, double blocks and the brass dummy gun barrels all in their original bags.
If there's anything else I can help with please let me know,
all the best for now
Mike

Attachments

• Img_0178.jpg
    Img_0178.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 10
  • Img_0179.jpg
    Img_0179.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Img_0180.jpg
    Img_0180.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Mike that’s very helpful. They really aren’t smaller than the ones I’m working with on my current build:

8C37037F-A587-496C-A9B5-479C80C68D9C.jpeg
It looks like those from the Mantua kit are wood, is the only difference.
I may consider this for my next build.
Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark,
You're welcome.
Yes, the Mantua blocks etc are of wood and look to be about the same size as those in your photo so you should be OK.
I think I need to stick to things around the 1/100 to 1/60 kind of scale nowadays given my advanced years!

Good luck with the build if you do go ahead with it
Mike

Back