Mantua # 785 HMS Bounty, Older version

Finished: Opened box 10/21/22. Completed 12/30/23 Approximately 1500 hours work. I've had a lot of experience building plastic sailing ships, but this is my first wooden model.
I'm pleased for the most part with the way it turned out. Hull planking could have been a little better but overall not bad for a first effort.
Comments welcome, be kindAnchor Detail.jpgCrew 1.jpgCrew 2.jpgCrew 3.jpgCrew 4.jpgCrew 5.jpgCrew 6.jpgCrew 7.jpgCrew 8.jpgCrew 9.jpgCrew 10.jpgHigh view amidships.jpgHigh view from stern.jpglongboat rigging.jpgView from bow.jpgView from Stern.jpgYard rigging detail.jpg

Very good work - especially if it your firsat ship model in wood - Bravo

As you asked for comments I would like to give you a hint making the second model even better

Your blocks in the rigging are installed in principle in a wrong direction - they should be all turned by 180°

1111.jpg 1112.jpg

in red are the location of the holes marked and green would be the rope

check this principle of tackle and you understand the small mistake

Screenshot 2024-01-09 114654.png

BTW: I am often looking at this detail and several modelers are making this mistake -> and to be honest, I am looking at the direction of blocks, because I made the same mistake on my first model I build until a friend of mine mentioned it.....

I like your seamen on the ship model - they are bringing life on the boat - great idea

Thanks for the constructive comments. I went to a lot of trouble to do the blocks upside down. At least they are all wrong and most observers will not know the difference. I agree the crew make the model.

Back