Maine Peapod 1:14 Model Expo Build log. [COMPLETED BUILD]

Using the same strips used to plank the boat. I made the false keel. Even though it says to use 2 strips, I found that one strip is the exact length needed. I soaked the strip in hot water and then Windex, as suggested. It formed easily and I secured it with rubber bands until it dries. I will then glue it into place.

peapod false keel.jpg

The boat was gently cut loose from the building base and came off with minimum problems. The 2 breasthooks were installed at each end. They required a bit of sanding down of the ends so they would fit properly. The ribs were then installed. soaking the strips in water and then some Windex really aided them in their ability to bend into shape.

IMG_8534.jpeg

All the ribs were installed. I used a flexible ruler to make sure the spacing on the top of the ribs ere fairly even.

IMG_8536.jpeg

Thanks for doing this build log. Your boat is looking excellent. I really like your idea of the clothes pin wedges. The lobster trap looks really cool.
I want to build a canoe down the line but I think I will do this boat first to practice the build process as I think it will be similar. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for doing this build log. Your boat is looking excellent. I really like your idea of the clothes pin wedges. The lobster trap looks really cool.
I want to build a canoe down the line but I think I will do this boat first to practice the build process as I think it will be similar. Keep up the great work.
I think it is an excellent idea to try this one first before a canoe. While it doesn't mention it in the plans I believe if I had beveled the planks a bit where they lay against the preceding planks it would have made things much easier and would have looked better and reduced the sanding. Something to try on your build.

This was my main challenge with the boat. I was not initially happy with my planking. But a good sanding and wood filler ended up being my close friends in the end.
Yes wood filler is essential! As I said above I believe if we beveled the planks slightly it would have made things easier. Part of the learning process!

After a finer sanding with 240 grit, I sealed the boat with 2 coats of sanding sealer. I have left the mahogany rub rails off until I paint the ship. I used some tamyia masking tape where the rub rails go to keep the area free of paint so the rub rails adhere better. I am planning on painting the outside white to contrast with the mahogany but unsure what to paint the inside. Any suggestions?

IMG_8545.jpegIMG_8544.jpeg

Back