Lubbers hole

When you are hanging the lower shrouds I assume you leave the top off for convenience. After you are finished the shrouds and are fitting the top do you just keep cutting the lubbers hole bigger until it fits over the shrouds? Then maybe a scale foot more for the lubbers?

No, the top should be left secured in place. The lubber hole should be sufficiently large to accept all the shrouds, plus the many running rigging lines that will eventually be sent down through it.

The lower shrouds have a sequence of installation to them. They are made up in pairs (total length a little longer than twice the distance from the upper deadeye to the masttop). The shroud is then served at the middle, sufficient to reach just below the bolsters. it is then doubled over, forming an eye, which is secured with a throat seizing, then looped over the masttop. The first pair of shrouds goes on the starboard side forward, forming the foremost (shrouds # 1 & #2) on the starboard side. Next, a duplicate pair is set up and forms the port side shrouds #'s 1 & 2. This continues, stacking up the pairs at the masttop, until all the shrouds have been made up, working your way aft; if there is an odd number of shrouds on each side, the last (single ones) are called "swifters" and are set up singly with a loop seized at the upper end.

This process is made easier if the upper masts have not yet been shipped so the pairs don't have to put manuvered around the trestletrees, if they are already in place then the throat seizings will have to be done in place after the pair has been looped around the masttop.

Good luck,
Ted

Yes, I agree - especially:
This process is made easier if the upper masts have not yet been installed yet. I did not do this and it was a task trying to weave my shrouds through the upper mast and then down.

The "lubbers hole" is a rectangular opening in a ship's lower top. It is the opening that allows the shrouds, mast pendants and innumerable other running rigging line access to the deck. "Lubber" was a derogatory term that sailors used to describe an inexperienced sailor, as in "land lubber".

When experienced (Able-bodied) seamen had to get up to the tops, they clambered up the ratlines attached to the shrouds. Once they reached the spot where the topmast futtock shrouds attached to the lower shrouds, at the "futtock stave", they had two options to continue upwards - either hang backwards while climbing up the futtock shroud ratlines (a dangerous move for an inexperienced seaman) or to climb up the inboard route continuing along the lower shrouds and squeeze through the "lubber's hole. Sailors who were not brave enough to take the futtock shroud route were derided as "lubbers".

Wow. There is whole story behind these lubbers hole name! It’s good I asked.

Last edited:
Yup, that’s a lubber hole alright! Seems to me you would have to be pretty small and nimble “Lubber” to fit past all the ropes traveling through the hole. In O’Brian’s book “Master and Commander“, Captain Aubrey has an internal discussion with himself on whether or not he should use the Lubber’s hole or scale up the outside on the ratlines ”like a real able bodied seaman”. Excellent book by the way…

I've actually got that book :D That doesn't happen often. I just haven't delved deeply into the rigging sections. I guess it's time to start.

The "lubbers hole" is a rectangular opening in a ship's lower top. It is the opening that allows the shrouds, mast pendants and innumerable other running rigging line access to the deck. "Lubber" was a derogatory term that sailors used to describe an inexperienced sailor, as in "land lubber".

When experienced (Able-bodied) seamen had to get up to the tops, they clambered up the ratlines attached to the shrouds. Once they reached the spot where the topmast futtock shrouds attached to the lower shrouds, at the "futtock stave", they had two options to continue upwards - either hang backwards while climbing up the futtock shroud ratlines (a dangerous move for an inexperienced seaman) or to climb up the inboard route continuing along the lower shrouds and squeeze through the "lubber's hole. Sailors who were not brave enough to take the futtock shroud route were derided as "lubbers".
Thanks for the info. I just made my quota for today of learning something new every day!

Hallo @tedrobinson2000
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back