L'Hermione rigging plan

I am building AL's kit of the L'Hermione, but I don't plan to build it as a replica of the replica, but more closely to a 1780 version with copper cladding and truer color scheme. While the online photo plans are sufficing for the early part of the build, I can't see them being of much use to me in the rigging phase. I am looking for a historically accurate paper rigging plan with schematics for rigging points,rope sizes,etc. Are there any resources available where one could obtain these at a reasonable cost?

First, you didn't state what "reasonable" is for you. :) The set of plans I have (just received) is over 30 large sheets in 1:48. It was about $125 USD. I ordered it from ANCRE. It is a set of plans suitable for a scratch build. But it is about as complete as you can get would be my guess.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

First, you didn't state what "reasonable" is for you. :) The set of plans I have (just received) is over 30 large sheets in 1:48. It was about $125 USD. I ordered it from ANCRE. It is a set of plans suitable for a scratch build. But it is about as complete as you can get would be my guess.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
Here we have also the planset review:

Thank you Corsair and thank you Uwek for your replies. I had looked at the planset from Ancre you both mention, but frankly my needs end with the rigging/sail plan and the deckplan shown, and spending 50% of the cost of the kit to obtain something that should be included to begin with is a bit more than I can justify. I was hoping for a more budget friendly solution if its out there. This is my second build,the first being the beagle from Occre. That build went well for me as Occre has great paper plans,diagrams,and instructions in my opinion. I guess if nothing else I'll follow the AL instructions best I can, and if I have to I'll order the planset and write it off to experience.

My suggestion would be to browse the better build-logs for French ships of that period and follow the rigging scheme and sequence you see there.

I don’t see a corresponding build log for it here (Mods - I did search here, first) on SOS, but one of the best and most concise rigging logs I have seen is that of Marsalv’s Le Gross Ventre, which is exactly your time period, if not the same classification of ship. That log can be found, here:

Here is SOS’s planset review;

My suggestion would be to browse the better build-logs for French ships of that period and follow the rigging scheme and sequence you see there.

I don’t see a corresponding build log for it here (Mods - I did search here, first) on SOS, but one of the best and most concise rigging logs I have seen is that of Marsalv’s Le Gross Ventre, which is exactly your time period, if not the same classification of ship. That log can be found, here:

Here is SOS’s planset review;

Thank you kind Sir, a lot of very pertinent information for me.I should be able to find everything I'm looking for in these links.

If I were you I would reconsider buying monograph from ANCRE. It' little costly, but if you really want to make a accurate model it's necessary.
Most of the kits have simplified rigging and other elements of ship, so it's not only artesania thing. Monograph will have all elements that you wanted. I don't think there's a build log with rope and pulleys dimensions and also balaying pin planche.

If I were you I would reconsider buying monograph from ANCRE. It' little costly, but if you really want to make a accurate model it's necessary.
Most of the kits have simplified rigging and other elements of ship, so it's not only artesania thing. Monograph will have all elements that you wanted. I don't think there's a build log with rope and pulleys dimensions and also balaying pin planche.
Thanks WojtasS, you may be right..maybe this years christmas present perhaps...

I am building AL's kit of the L'Hermione, but I don't plan to build it as a replica of the replica, but more closely to a 1780 version with copper cladding and truer color scheme. While the online photo plans are sufficing for the early part of the build, I can't see them being of much use to me in the rigging phase. I am looking for a historically accurate paper rigging plan with schematics for rigging points,rope sizes,etc. Are there any resources available where one could obtain these at a reasonable cost?
Hallo @jgsandberg
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back