Introduction

Hi All,
My name is Grant, I Live in the UK, relatively new to model building, currently building the Sovereign of the Seas, kit from DeAgostini customising the build as the kit is not the best for accuracy or materials. (video diary on youtube), A member here saw my videos and suggested I come here. Ive seen some amazing builds here, and the knowledge shared is something Ive not seen before. Thanks for allowing me access, not sure how much building im going to get done now, so much to read and learn here ;-).P1000775.JPG P1000777.JPGP1000778.JPG

Welcome GKip! Glad to have you aboard!
I wanted to pic your brain about making STL models for 3-D printing for ship decorations. You have a large head start on me, and i haven't even taken the resin printer out of the box yet. I was thinking on using Blender for making the SotS carvings and decorations, then slicing them, printing them out and applying them on the Sovereign as you did. That work is still a way off and you can see from my build log where the model is at currently. You can expect some questions from me when I get to that stage.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
your modeling work is looking very good - Bravo

Welcome GKip! Glad to have you aboard!
I wanted to pic your brain about making STL models for 3-D printing for ship decorations. You have a large head start on me, and i haven't even taken the resin printer out of the box yet. I was thinking on using Blender for making the SotS carvings and decorations, then slicing them, printing them out and applying them on the Sovereign as you did. That work is still a way off and you can see from my build log where the model is at currently. You can expect some questions from me when I get to that stage.
Hi Kurt,
I started off using blender, but have now changed to just using Photoshop and then using an online jpg to stl converter, due to the size of the prints a lot of the detail is lost with the limitations of the printer, what I do is take a picture of the image from the infamous book (Sovereign of the seas 1637), then in photoshop I colour the the points I want to stand out the most, then in darker shades colour in the rest to achieve varying heights (see pics), once ive converted the file (https://imagetostl.com/convert/file/jpg/to/stl) is very good, I pop it into PrusaSlicer. However after having a good look through this site last night I happened upon some beautiful carvings done using a CNC router / Engraver machine, so this morning I did a bit of research and decided to try Amazon's cheapest model out to see if I could improve on mine.

SnapShot(38).jpgSnapShot(39).jpgSnapShot40.jpgSnapShot.jpg

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
your modeling work is looking very good - Bravo
Thank you, Ive got a long ways to go to be on a par with everyone here, but this looks like a great place to learn.

Back