Internal planking

Does the internal planking follow the same rules as external planking or can I take a few liberties. I'm assuming there is no caulking internally? How about tapering a plank to a point? Outside a point can lead to rot but how about inside where it's drier? If points are allowed I guess stealers and drop planks are not needed inside?
Thanks

Does the internal planking follow the same rules as external planking or can I take a few liberties. I'm assuming there is no caulking internally? How about tapering a plank to a point? Outside a point can lead to rot but how about inside where it's drier? If points are allowed I guess stealers and drop planks are not needed inside?
Thanks
You can take liberties on the first planking. But, remember, the better job on the first,,,it's easier on the second.

Hi Don

The internal joinery is completely different inside the ship and areas such as the hold may not be fully planked, instead having structural members running the length of the ship often with a gap in between or even timber or iron diagonal bracings.Gundecks are fully planked but the planking is of varying thicknesses.

All this is very much particular to the vessel so there is no general rule of thumb.

What vessel are you building, or planing to build?

Kind Regards

Nigel

Does the internal planking follow the same rules as external planking or can I take a few liberties.
Not the same rules like for external planking - the internal planking had not be watertight

I'm assuming there is no caulking internally?
Correct - no caulking

How about tapering a plank to a point?
I do not think, that usually pointed ends of planks were made - but not because of rod, only because of stability - a point can not be fixed to a frame

For stability of the hull structure they installed the so called thick stuff planks or clamps - they had to be correctly installed from the bow (keel) towards the stern. These were important to work against torsion of the hull and other forces (marked with red)

IMG-8025a.jpg

all other internal planking were only to cover the frames to have a surface for storage etc.
Often the internal planking was not complete, so sometimes one row was left, so the carpenter was able to inspect the frames and outer planking - in bigger ships there was a carpenters walk in the height of the waterline where the planking was missing.

There are contemporary drawings existing showing the internal planking

f.e.
j1987.jpg

Unnamed 100-gun First Rates; Queen Charlotte (1810)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the internal planking expansion for unnamed 100-gun First Rates, and Queen Charlotte (1810), a 100-gun First Rate, three-decker, building at Deptford Dockyard. The Queen Charlotte was the only 100-gun First Rate being built at Deptford Dockyard during this period.

or

j4819.jpg

Podargus (1808)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the internal planking profile (expansion) for Podargus (1808), a 14-gun Brig.

Date: NMM, Progress Book, volume 7, folio 205, states that 'Podargus' was fitted at Portsmouth Dockyard in 1808, repaired at Portsmouth Dockyard in 1809, and had defects repaired at Plymouth Dockyard in 1810.

Thank you Uwe. I've often wondered how you guys find these drawings. Do you just spend hours looking at the NMM site? I never know if a drawing like that exists or even what to call it in a search. All I know is to buy a lot of expensive books in the hope that there is something in them or to ask you guys. Thankfully you guys are here.:)

Thank you Uwe. I've often wondered how you guys find these drawings. Do you just spend hours looking at the NMM site? I never know if a drawing like that exists or even what to call it in a search. All I know is to buy a lot of expensive books in the hope that there is something in them or to ask you guys. Thankfully you guys are here.:)
Hi Don
On the NMM site go to ship plans on the top menu and search the name of the ship, without the 'HMS'. So just....victory....for example. You'll find everything, including portraits, paintings and plans that are for sale. Or, you might get 'no matches found' like Pickle because there are no plans!

Thanks Bob but I know how to find an individual ship and there is very little for the Discovery1789 so I have to look for stuff "like" the Discovery. People share drawings of random stuff like internal planking or framing or who knows what. If you were looking for a planking diagram for a ship(any ship) from a particular era, say, 1750-1800 how would you search for that on NMM?

Thanks Bob but I know how to find an individual ship and there is very little for the Discovery1789 so I have to look for stuff "like" the Discovery. People share drawings of random stuff like internal planking or framing or who knows what. If you were looking for a planking diagram for a ship(any ship) from a particular era, say, 1750-1800 how would you search for that on NMM?
I don't think you can. The search facility is for sales. People like Pete Goodwin visit the museums and the Office of Public Records and physically sift through all the information. Then you may find no record exists of exactly what you are looking for.
I think you'll have to take an educated estimation based of a lot of googling! I'm having similar problems, Google is odd, the same search seems to bring up slightly different results on another day, same with a slightly different search wording. I'm afraid it's sheer determination and a lot of time!?

Back