Installing the Deck

Starting Marina II by Artesania Latina, POB. The plans call for planking the deck which I have done and then gluing the deck on the frames. The deck is not completely flat but will have some curvature which makes a tight fit challenging. Thinking of my options, rubber bands, elastic straps, weights. I don't have any large clamps, but could certainly obtain some if that would work. If I heat the deck and bend it, I'm afraid some or all of the planks will come loose, although there is the options of re installing if necessary. Anyone have any thoughts?
Photos below.

IMG_1787.JPGIMG_1788.JPG

G'day, how about gluing some strips of wood across the tops of the bulkheads, that is level with the tops of the bulkheads following the following the curvature of them, then when the glue has dried you can glue the deck to them with small clamps,
Best regards John,

Hello,
Hope you read this John. This is the result of your suggestion. It took me awhile but I installed strips of wood as you suggested, dry fit for some time and finally glued the deck with Tite Bond using a total of 26 small clamps. The result is a solidly installed deck with excellent fit. Soon I will cut off the wood strip extensions and then continue with the build.
One small step and I appreciate your help and admire SOS for this supportive environment.
Best, Phil
IMG_1791.JPGIMG_1793.JPG

Hello,
Hope you read this John. This is the result of your suggestion. It took me awhile but I installed strips of wood as you suggested, dry fit for some time and finally glued the deck with Tite Bond using a total of 26 small clamps. The result is a solidly installed deck with excellent fit. Soon I will cut off the wood strip extensions and then continue with the build.
One small step and I appreciate your help and admire SOS for this supportive environment.
Best, Phil
View attachment 423850View attachment 423849
G'day Phil, Thankyou I'm glad it helped you out, she's looking good,
Best regards John,

Hi Phil. I'm following your build. I received my Marina II earlier this week. Looks like a nice kit that I'm looking forward to building.

bruce

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for letting me know. I will try to post some photos soon.
I'm installing the bulwarks, photos 7-9 in the instructions and find them somewhat challenging, but making some progress. I'm normally quite slow.
Best,
Phil

On your next project when trying to secure the deck down with all the curves, try using surplace wood strips long enough to lay cross ways on deck and hang off a bit, thick enough to hold the deck down when rubber bands are applied around the hull. Using one per frame help bend and hold the deck while glue dries.

Even though it may go against plans, try gluing deck down first and then applying deck planking after it has dried to the keel and bulkheads.

Hi Phil. I'm following your build. I received my Marina II earlier this week. Looks like a nice kit that I'm looking forward to building.

bruce
btw: welcome to the forum

On your next project when trying to secure the deck down with all the curves, try using surplace wood strips long enough to lay cross ways on deck and hang off a bit, thick enough to hold the deck down when rubber bands are applied around the hull. Using one per frame help bend and hold the deck while glue dries.

Even though it may go against plans, try gluing deck down first and then applying deck planking after it has dried to the keel and bulkheads.
I used binder clips. I also put the planking down after gluing the deck down.

IMG_2683.JPG

Phil, the bulwarks were a challenge. I used superglue and hoping that's good enough. Actually, this whole kit has been a challenge. I didn't realize how much freelancing was required.

edit: The magic for me was the mini vise-grip that I used to clamp the bulwark to the stem.

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG

Last edited:
Back