ICON of the SEAS - The world’s largest cruise ship arrives at homeport PortMiami

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

The world’s largest passenger cruise ship reached Miami early Wednesday morning, a long-anticipated arrival expected to further invigorate South Florida’s tourism economy, reinforce the Magic City’s global and national relevance, and potentially expand who takes cruises and why.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article283953108.html#storylink=cpy

Icon of the Seas is a cruise ship built for Royal Caribbean International and will be the lead ship of the Icon class. She is scheduled to enter service on 27 January 2024 out of PortMiami in the US. At 248,663 gross tonnage (GT), Icon of the Seas is the largest cruise ship in the world.

1666094917_RCI-IC-Aerial-Angle-Aft-Day-CGI03-RET-LR.jpg

The ship will have a crew of 2,350, and a capacity of 5,610 passengers at double occupancy, or 7,600 passengers at maximum capacity. So in total 10.000 people.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 105945.png

My subjective personal comment:
It is sailing - better cruising, YES, but is it really a ship? - does the world really needs such things?

World's largest passenger cruise ship. While understanding the risks of discussing aesthetics, I would still add a superlative of my own: World's ugliest ship.

For a satirical look at cruise ships see the SF movie "The Fifth Element." Below is a pic of the space cruiser Fhloston Paradise.

fhloston.jpeg

Icon of the Seas, begins maiden voyage

interesting to see the size -> Icon of the Seas vs Titanic

The single most important factor allowing the construction of a vessel so large, especially in height, is the use of aluminum for the superstructure. The great height means more cabins, which means more passengers, which means more money. I remain repulsed by the aesthetics.

There isn’t a single thing that’s looks pleasant about modern cruise ships..fair weather vessels only..my wife and I took a cruise on a ship with a Xbow..it was almost always wet up forward in a force 3..

There isn’t a single thing that’s looks pleasant about modern cruise ships..fair weather vessels only..my wife and I took a cruise on a ship with a Xbow..it was almost always wet up forward in a force 3..
And... to make things much more unpleasant, there could be an outbreak of norovirus.

Yes indeed..having spent time early in my working life on ships it was continually drilled into the crew about cleanliness & how quickly even the common cold or flu will spread throughout a ship..As for the aesthetics well Harland & Wolf or Francis Gibbs would be amazed a ship could look like look a Disney play park complete with flashing lights.

Back