I have a shipyard and I'm not afraid to learn

Hi my name is Kent and I'm from Richmond California. Four years ago a friend of mine's Stepfather died and he was cleaning out his house. He was very heavly into wooden ship models. He had several completed models and about 10 started from kits. My friends asked me if I wanted the kits because he had no intrest in them and I said sure. I have 2 HMS Victory's the Le Mirage, 3 more sailing ships two Victory Cargo Ships, a Destroyer and a Whaler. There's about $4,000 dollars in started kits. I've been retired for almost five years and I finnaly turn half of my garage into a shipyard. I also bring into the mix a plastic model of the USS Constition from Revell that's about 10 years old and my forth attempt at it, the other three were destoryed in verious mishaps. About a month ago I started working on the ships. I'm currently working on the Le Mirage from Corel, the USS Constition from Revell and HMS Victory 1:90 scale from Mamoli. I have never built one of these models but I can woodwork and I have read a lot and watch quite a few videos on the subject. I got through the planking on Le Mirage and starting on the decking. I'll start a log when I can figure it out. It's great to finally find a good forum on the subject and the pictures I've seen so far are awesome.

Attachments

• The Shipyard for SOS.JPG
    The Shipyard for SOS.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 5
Welcome Kent. If you need some items or fittings, you are close to Ages of Sail in San Lorenzo. I have been to his place of business several times and he is good to work with. He can get any replacement parts for wooden models and has extra rigging, wood, etc on hand. My last name is Maple and I was his first customer. He has a regular job so you need to call and set up an time to go over there so he can have the shop open and have a helper be there to let you in.
This is a great and rewarding hobby so enjoy. Yes, this is a great site and people will help with any questions you might have in building.

Thanks Gary, it's good to know that there is a shop in the area. I'm sure I'm going to need replacement parts. I'm still looking into all the kits here and some don't look complete.

Welcome aboard Kent. :text-welcomewave: Real nice shop set up. And from the looks of your tables, you've got three nice ships started. Please post a build log for any one or all three of the ships here on the site. Plenty of good folks to give you a hand with continuing the builds.

Nice shop setup ! Looks like you can tackle just about anything there.

Donnie

Back