How to make Miniature model deadeyes for your model ship, from scratch.

Hi Everyone,
Here is my next video: How to make Miniature model deadeyes for your model ship, from scratch.

In this video, I show you, step-by-step, how to make deadeyes for your miniature model ship rigging, from scratch. it is a fiddly process, but so worth it.

I made myself a template board with all the relevant measurements and slots to make my job easier, simply drop in the small piece of round wood for the deadeyes and mark off, then cut and sand each piece...after drilling the central hole, that is! Feel free to copy my template!!

Tieing the string to your pieces, can be tricky, but soon your hands will learn the way to do it and you can just do it automatically.

Securing your strings, or rigging to the masts is another one that your hands and fingers need to learn, if you need to see how I do it, I suggest playing that part of the video in half speed, and practice on string or line that is not for your final project.

As always, good luck with your projects, and ask any questions you may have, in the comments. If you want a pattern for the template, or for me to do a close-up of the stringing, let me know, I'll happily share these things.

Many Thanks for showing us your way of making "deadeyes", or maybe we can say "simlified deadeyes"
To be historical and technical correct, also for other modelers:
Please be aware, that on such an older ship like your carack deadeyes were not used, they came much later.
BTW: deadeyes have usually three holes and were used to bring the shrouds under tension.....
Also on yards arms only blocks were installed and not deadeyes...... Please keep this and others in mind looking at this video

I made deadeyes with three holes but they were into endgrain. Deadeyes are actually edge-grained items. End grain would not sustain the forces I don't think.20210816_154623_020.jpg

Attachments

• 20210816_153833.jpg
    20210816_153833.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210816_151506.jpg
    20210816_151506.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210816_151322.jpg
    20210816_151322.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210816_151059.jpg
    20210816_151059.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I made deadeyes with three holes but they were into endgrain. Deadeyes are actually edge-grained items. End grain would not sustain the forces I don't think.
you are right - the method shown is a very simplified way - therefore I made the earlier post to clarify this also for the beginners in our hobby

Here a photo of an original deadeye in scale 1:1 under production after drillling the holes

Unbenannt.JPG

Take also a look at this highly interesting video

Here a photo of an original deadeye in scale 1:1 under production after drillling the holes

View attachment 274121

Take also a look at this highly interesting video

This is interesting. The hole pattern is different than I thought. Also judging by the size of the groove for the shroud, the deadeyes are quite a bit thicker than the size of the shroud.

Many Thanks for showing us your way of making "deadeyes", or maybe we can say "simlified deadeyes"
To be historical and technical correct, also for other modelers:
Please be aware, that on such an older ship like your carack deadeyes were not used, they came much later.
BTW: deadeyes have usually three holes and were used to bring the shrouds under tension.....
Also on yards arms only blocks were installed and not deadeyes...... Please keep this and others in mind looking at this video
Attached is information about the deadeyes of Columbuses ships. His expedition was in 1492 my model is from the start of the 16th century. May I suggest reading the book SHIPS CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS REVISED (Anatomy of the Ship) Link https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIPS-CHRISTOPHER-COLUMBUS-REVISED-Anatomy/dp/1844860140/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=SHIPS+CHRISTOPHER+COLUMBUS+REVISED+%28Anatomy+of+the+Ship%29&qid=1638915092&sr=8-1

image.png.909f1ef37e0cab8111f81cb8ea88672a.png

Attached is information about the deadeyes of Columbuses ships. His expedition was in 1492 my model is from the start of the 16th century. May I suggest reading the book SHIPS CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS REVISED (Anatomy of the Ship) Link https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIPS-CHRISTOPHER-COLUMBUS-REVISED-Anatomy/dp/1844860140/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=SHIPS+CHRISTOPHER+COLUMBUS+REVISED+%28Anatomy+of+the+Ship%29&qid=1638915092&sr=8-1

View attachment 274214

Many Thanks for posting this excerpt from the Anatomy book, which I have also in my library.
Ok - as I understand, you are making "hearts" for the shrouds. Deadeyes are the type 2 and 3.
At the yardarms blocks were used.

I learn something new everyday. "The three-holed blocks were called deadeyes because the position of the three holes resemble the eye and nose sockets of a sheep's skull."

Back