How far one can go to modify a gallionsfigure?

Hi Dear Sos Community
At the moment i am building La Couronne - corel.Thanks to Darivs Architectv's hint i learned the gallionsfigure from corel (hercules on a griphon which actually looks like a goose) is not the correct figure.It should be hercules on a dragon as original .So i ordered the original one from mantua. Mantua did not satisfy me ,one cannot identify the dragon,,it looks like a kind of serpent..Therefore i ordered from china a brass dragon the size fitting to the size of hercules figure from corel.Probably i will prefer this for my build with some chain combination.
If a company like corel allows to replace the gallionsfigure ,why should i not improve it and also use a better dragon figure than mantua's.
I hope the attachments will give you a better idea
Best Regards

Atually the best would be to grave or pour the figures by yourself,but i am not good enough both subjects ;)

KorsanChoice (1).jpg

KorsanChoice (2).jpg

KorsanChoice (3).jpg

KorsanChoice (4).jpg

Mantua.jpg

CorelGriphon versus brass dragon.jpg

Hi Dear Sos Community
At the moment i am building La Couronne - corel.Thanks to Darivs Architectv's hint i learned the gallionsfigure from corel (hercules on a griphon which actually looks like a goose) is not the correct figure.It should be hercules on a dragon as original .So i ordered the original one from mantua. Mantua did not satisfy me ,one cannot identify the dragon,,it looks like a kind of serpent..Therefore i ordered from china a brass dragon the size fitting to the size of hercules figure from corel.Probably i will prefer this for my build with some chain combination.
If a company like corel allows to replace the gallionsfigure ,why should i not improve it and also use a better dragon figure than mantua's.
I hope the attachments will give you a better idea
Best Regards

Atually the best would be to grave or pour the figures by yourself,but i am not good enough both subjects ;)

View attachment 426635

View attachment 426636

View attachment 426637

View attachment 426638

View attachment 426639

View attachment 426640
Your interpretation of the figurehead for La Couronne is as good as any interpretation made by a model kit company. The chains are a particularly nice touch. Thumbsup
You may want to change the color of the figure's appearance to something more homogenous, so it looks like one figurehead and not two. You can paint both parts of the figure the same color of gold, for example, including the chains. I would also remove the parts of the chain that are dangling down, because it doesn't suit the style of figurehead carving, and makes it look like a modern art sculpture, IMHO. The traditional image that Mantua was looking to portray in their version of the La Couronne figurehead is this:

1707523086398.png

Last edited:
First of all i have to thank to you for your hint about the not originality of the figure for la couronne.The picture i attached to my last thread ref. hercules+dragon were only for presenting purposes for the improvment and not the finally finished version.In the meantime i decided to place the figure under the the edge of the ram and not above (so not blocking the cannon shots and the details of the dragon will be more emphasized),the chain will also be shortened .
In the meantime together with the brass dragon, lyle de france and a french emblem figures i ordered from aliexpress are also arrived
My Best Wishes and also a Happy and Heathy Dragon Year Pirate Flag;)Beer

IMG_5774.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

IMG_5778.jpg

IMG_5780.jpg

IMG_5782.jpg

Back