Hoping for a little help from my Dad's fellow ship-builders...

Hi everyone, apologies if this is not what your forum is intended for, but my mom and I are looking for someone to help point us in the right direction. My dad was a member of this group and recently passed from leukemia. He fought for 7 years and one of the things that got him through chemo was building the HMS Victory kit to pass to his grandson (photos attached). We will need to move it from my mom's place soon and would like to insure it before we do but we have no idea what to insure it for. All my mom can remember is that he purchased the kit in or around 2000 from an Italian company for around $500-600. We're terrified to move it but my mom can no longer live in their house alone so we have no choice. Knowing where we might find someone to repair it if it breaks would be great too, as well as some tips for how to pack it up. Right now, it's in a plexiglass case that my dad had specially built. If you have an idea of how much we should insure for, or can point us in the direction of a reputable appraiser (we're in Canada if that matters) we would be forever grateful. My dad really enjoyed interacting with you all when he was building his masterpiece and was so very proud of it. It was a wonderful distraction for him. Thanks and take care.

HMS Vicotory_In progress5.JPG

HMS Victory - in progress 1.JPG

HMS Victory 2019.JPG

HMS Victory 2019b.JPG

HMS Victory_In progress2.JPG

HMS Victory_In progress3.JPG

HMS Victory_In progress6.JPG

HMS Victory_Inpprogress4.JPG

So sorry to hear about your dad. He did a wonderful job on the ship! I can see why you are so proud of it. I hope you have pictures of him working on it. It makes it just that much more special. I would insure it for at least $2K and check with packing companies that do this sort of thing. I recently had to ship something very fragile across country and took it to a UPS packing company and they did a wonderful job packing and shipping. It made it to the destination and not one piece broken. You can also pay a currior to move it but could be pricey. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Absolutely stunning, sad that another craftsman has past away. l agree 100% with Patrick to get a company in to move it. It becomes their responsibility but get insurance on it. For the move and ever after.

there are few people capable of repairing these models. On top of that.
IT’S PRICELESS ! Your father built it.

It is a difficult thing to lose our loved ones in that way. I’m sorry for your loss.

Personally, I would look into a fine art mover. There are a number of considerations that will impact your choices. Firstly - can the model be moved by a land courier, or must it be flown to its next destination? Secondly - is the model firmly secured to its pedestal base (threaded rod and nuts through the keel), or is it merely resting in its cradle? However you ship it, you will want to ensure that it can’t slide around in its base. Thirdly - how is the case constructed; is it plate glass or plexiglass (Perspex)? Also, how is the glass secured within the wooden case framework?

Most likely, it is best to ship the model outside of its case because, should the glass break or collapse, in transit, the model will be destroyed. I have seen this happen, and it is devastating.

As you can begin to see, professional packing and shipping of such a thing quickly becomes expensive. If you only have to travel 50-75 miles across land, and you have some reliable helpers, the best course may be to rent a cargo van and line the bed with a moving blanket. Make sure the model is secure in its base and load it into the van stern first; in the event of an abrupt stop, you will minimize potential damage to the model.

One helper’s job is to sit with the model to ensure that the base doesn’t slide around on the blanket. Next, place the case top, top-side down onto the other side of the cargo bed. Your second helper will ensure that the case does not slide around in-transit. You should be able to strap the case base, if it is distinct and separate from the model base, to the inside walls of the cargo bay.

There won’t be monetary insurance, with this course, but good helpers are priceless. I wish you luck and recovery from your loss.

In order to move the ship: 1) Is the ship permanently and securely affixed to its cradle so that it cannot move or slip in its cradle?
2) Is the cradle firmly and permanently affixed to the base of the case beneath it ? Preferably screwed down to the to the base of the case?
3) The ship must be immobilized inside the case in order to move it.
4) The case surrounding the ship must be immobilized, unable to slip or tilt off its base in shipment .Ship, cradle, base and case must move as ONE secure unit for moving/shipping!
5) How far is it going? Can it be conveyed securely battened down inside a box truck for a shorter distance? For a longer haul you will need a professional" white glove" service that will properly crate and convey it door to door and hand deliver and unpack it on site. I have used Craters and Freighters to deliver four such models from the Washington DC area to Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton in FLA. They sent out their professional packing expert ( who would be building the crate himself) to confer with me on exactly how the proper packing was to be addressed so that I could be assured that the whole ship and case and packing crate(if required) would be moved as one secure, immobilized unit. Don't plan for repairs. Plan to have it done right in the first place. Don't trust assurances of the shipper's expertise from the shipper themselves with out being apprised as to exactly how it will be packed, protected and shipped in detail . Trust your gut, be skeptical. Proceed only when you feel comfortable that everything will be done to your satisfaction. Craters and Freighters were four for four for me. But that does not mean that they are uniformly or consistently superior from one franchise to another in each location around North America. Be critical in your choice of shipper. there is no plan"B". Proceed as if you are moving a classical treasure from the Louvre. Insure the hell out of it. It will be expensive. It is your family treasure and your father's legacy. What could be more precious, or of greater value than that?

I was just looking at the previous post from Hubac's Historian. This too, is good, well thought out advise. Be advised that I am sure that he, too is speaking from experience. I can only speak from my own, having had to address both short and long haul moving challenges, with no ill effects.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your dad. He did a wonderful job on the ship! I can see why you are so proud of it. I hope you have pictures of him working on it. It makes it just that much more special. I would insure it for at least $2K and check with packing companies that do this sort of thing. I recently had to ship something very fragile across country and took it to a UPS packing company and they did a wonderful job packing and shipping. It made it to the destination and not one piece broken. You can also pay a currior to move it but could be pricey. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.
Thank you. We've heard (informally) that it is worth quite a bit more than 2K but will definitely seek an appraisal just in case. Do you insure yours?

It is a difficult thing to lose our loved ones in that way. I’m sorry for your loss.

Personally, I would look into a fine art mover. There are a number of considerations that will impact your choices. Firstly - can the model be moved by a land courier, or must it be flown to its next destination? Secondly - is the model firmly secured to its pedestal base (threaded rod and nuts through the keel), or is it merely resting in its cradle? However you ship it, you will want to ensure that it can’t slide around in its base. Thirdly - how is the case constructed; is it plate glass or plexiglass (Perspex)? Also, how is the glass secured within the wooden case framework?

Most likely, it is best to ship the model outside of its case because, should the glass break or collapse, in transit, the model will be destroyed. I have seen this happen, and it is devastating.

As you can begin to see, professional packing and shipping of such a thing quickly becomes expensive. If you only have to travel 50-75 miles across land, and you have some reliable helpers, the best course may be to rent a cargo van and line the bed with a moving blanket. Make sure the model is secure in its base and load it into the van stern first; in the event of an abrupt stop, you will minimize potential damage to the model.

One helper’s job is to sit with the model to ensure that the base doesn’t slide around on the blanket. Next, place the case top, top-side down onto the other side of the cargo bed. Your second helper will ensure that the case does not slide around in-transit. You should be able to strap the case base, if it is distinct and separate from the model base, to the inside walls of the cargo bay.

There won’t be monetary insurance, with this course, but good helpers are priceless. I wish you luck and recovery from your loss.
Thank you for the advice, we'll definitely look into professional packing, I hadn't thought of that!

I do agree with hiring a fine arts mover that knows and cares what they are doing, or get help and move it yourself if possible. As I have previously stated in other posts on the same topic, I would never trust the standard commercial couriers to look after your precious model. Over the past years they have destroyed two of my commercially made ships on their way to my customers and they were not sailing ships.

I was looking at Hubac's Historian again. His advice concerning the dangers of shipping the model under glass are spot on. I've always used plexiglass which used in making a case makes a nice box to have the model safely secured in with lots of room around it. If the case is glass, Hubac's advice is best.
Failing a case to protect it, I have done so by creating a crate bottom to secure the model to and building the crate around it secured to itself ,top, bottom and sides. I've had some sailing ship models so large that a cabinet maker friend of mine and I literally built the display cases around them, starting by securing the cradles to the case bottom with brass round head slotted screws(which, if visible , look the most presentable) Then the models to the cradle. But that and the order in which it is done varies from model to model and display base to display base, or cradle. Our display cases are designed as five wood frames with plexiglass panels that can then be safely assembled around the model. Building a shipping crate is much the same. I hope that all this proves in some way useful to you, and that you are pleased with all the wonderful responses you garnered. Clearly there are a lot of us in this space who are touched and moved by your story and your father's exceptional work. all the best getting it all sorted. Thumbsup :D

Pete

Outstanding, outstanding… outstanding ship and story. In many ways I am trying to create icons/models for my children and grandkids before I move on to the next journey. As we know that tomorrow is not promised to anyone but the spirit and their memories as well as memorabilia do… through your grief, be comfortable that you dad is with you in your heart… always.

~josh

Dad's Girl 1,
Please let us know how everything works out for you. I'm sure everyone following this thread shares the same concern for the best possible out come.
All the best, Pete

Hi,

My condoleance with the passing away of your dad.

We have a member online who is shipping his models from time to time.
He is also based in Canada and can maybe provide you with the details of how to do this the best way possible.

Hi @OlegM , do you have any advice on the above?

Many thx

Back