Hms victory sectioner

Just started my bow section need to no what to varnish it doesn’t say can anyone please let me no seems like a good model so far this is my 5th build all others we’re not finished

To varnish or not is a personnel choice, and what type and brand is very subjective.

On the interior you have to look at photos and see what got painted a specific color, like gun ports were normally a shade of red. Other items were painted white.

On the exterior there is a yellow and black band to deal with and copper below the whales.

Some folks like to just use oils instead of varnish, but then with any coating the question is when to apply, as some effect the ability of glues to hold together.

You might look at some of sections and help pages of the home page, I thought there was a thread about different finishes and choices.

Hallo,

maybe you can show us one or more photos of your actual status,
so we can better understand which parts you are thinking about to varnish

To varnish or not is a personnel choice, and what type and brand is very subjective.

On the interior you have to look at photos and see what got painted a specific color, like gun ports were normally a shade of red. Other items were painted white.

On the exterior there is a yellow and black band to deal with and copper below the whales.

Some folks like to just use oils instead of varnish, but then with any coating the question is when to apply, as some effect the ability of glues to hold together.

You might look at some of sections and help pages of the home page, I thought there was a thread about different finishes and choices.
I’m sorry I ment stains it comes with this stain

image.jpg

image.jpg

some stain is not penetrating into the wood, if there are rests of glue on the surface.
This is maybe the reason
- and sometimes you are not able to reach some areas with your brush after they are fixed.

I found, if possible, stain and even paint prior to assembling a part…but in my experience, staining a part prior to assembly makes things a whole lot easier and cleaner. Look carefully to determine if only a part needs stain, or if one assembles a structure then stains the whole. Always be careful to not get glue on surfaces that you want to stain…as we know, stain tends not to penetrate glue! I then use MinWax clear matte finish polyurethane to coat all parts during assembly and as a finish top coat. I prefer the water base MinWax poly as it seems to dry quicker and clear. I have no trouble gluing to poly coated surfaces with either PVA or CA glues. I do not use varnish or finish oils.

Last edited:
The staining shown in instructions is good to do.

As others have said it makes it easier down the road.

Its the final coating after assembly that draws all the questions and comments.

Back