HMS Victory Photos

These pictures are great and they raise a couple of questions. In this one there is a large rope wrapped 5 times around the bitts and then about 50 ft.(wild guess) of it is coiled on the deck. This would take forever to unwrap and rewrap. Why would they do this? Maybe ropes that are seldom used?

Victory239 Modified JPG.jpg

In this one there are cradle pieces (the whale tail looking things) attached to the thwarts. Does anyone know how they were attached? They would have to be removable. I've been trying to figure out how to do this on the Discovery.

Victory265 Modified JPG.jpg

In this one there are cradle pieces (the whale tail looking things) attached to the thwarts. Does anyone know how they were attached? They would have to be removable. I've been trying to figure out how to do this on the Discovery.

View attachment 444817
I very much doubt a boat would be sitting on such cradles in real life, at sea,
The thwarts would have been removed and the upper boat would be 'nested' down within the lower boat.

As for the ropes; as preserved, few of 'Victory's' cordage would be seeing much use.
No doubt those ropes are conveniently placed there, waiting to be put to proper use.

Back