Hms Victory - Heller 1/100 by tjoenp Finland [COMPLETED BUILD]

Ive been working over a year for the moment. Right now working on the ratlines, as well as trying to decide wether to put sails or not. Tried to paint some of the plastic sails, I would like to have the sails folded, because of the better visibility of the deck. We will see... Moareins Victory thread has been a great learning process, so a big thanks to him and hats of , as he is very talented in his work.

IMG_20230925_163453.jpg

Good day,

Dear jope, looking at photoes which You posted, it looks like there is smthng wrong with rigging proportions which You made, stays, shrouds, ratlines,etc ...all looks like as made a little bit out of scale in proportions...

there are a few excell tables exists free for download in internet,and in this forum as well , how to calculate all necessary diameters of staying and running rigging, and besides that, it looks like You made very unusual arrangements while You were busy with making stays? ... May be there is scence, first to read a few books how to making riggs and rigging, and Victory model in particulars, and than try to do it on model ? Roughly says , there should be about 10 to 20 different ropes diameters necessary for making Victory model rigging...
There is fantastic model of Victory made by famous Ukranian modeller Evgeniy Epur , which could be used as example whatt we need to reach making our own Victory models... :)))

Last edited:
Good day,

Dear jope, looking at photoes which You posted, it looks like there is smthng wrong with rigging proportions which You made, stays, shrouds, ratlines,etc ...all looks like as made a little bit out of scale in proportions...

there are a few excell tables exists free for download in internet,and in this forum as well , how to calculate all necessary diameters of staying and running rigging, and besides that, it looks like You made very unusual arrangements while You were busy with making stays? ... May be there is scence, first to read a few books how to making riggs and rigging, and Victory model in particulars, and than try to do it on model ? Roughly says , there should be about 10 to 20 different ropes diameters necessary for making Victory model rigging...
There is fantastic model of Victory made by famous Ukranian modeller Evgeniy Epur , which could be used as example whatt we need to reach making our own Victory models... :)))
Dear Kirill Im not an artist. Ive been looking threw several stories/reports of making Hms Victory modell in the scale 1/100 and came to the conclusion that some of us really have the abbility and nerve to do the modells up to standard what it takes to even for museum. I m making this model to myself . Yes you are right the stays are made "a little odd" I should have made them in a different way, I have even the stays made by Stafi,but they came late for some reason. Now I think its too late to do the change. Ive used four different rope diameters so far. Going to do the rigging to the sails in different colour and diameter. I hope this suits you. In the Hellers packet came only two different diameters and according to the plans of Hellers they are using only those diameters, so Ive already doubled that. I didnt understand they all should stand certain standards. 95% of us normal people dont know anythlng about sailships rigging,but trying to learn. Have a good day Kirill.

Good day ,
Dear jope,
Thaks for your reply and explanation of your choice.
this is the right decision to use more different diameters of threads in the rigging!
As I could see,there are several equivalent, as it seems to me, ways to assemble our models - assembling directly from the box, as they say, strictly following the instructions, or assembling a set along the way by studying the relevant materials on the design and rigging of a ship of the corresponding period and making appropriate changes and additions.... the last one I personally think the path is much more interesting, albeit more time-consuming. Nowadays you can find a lot of necessary literature on the Internet, if desired, both freely available and for a fee...
I have a similar set that I was going to assemble someday, but for now I’m stuck at the stage of studying the information...
the way how kit offers to make model rigging plunged me into a stupor, it is very difficult to parse and understand the logic when numbers are used instead of the name of the rigging lines...
I had to buy several books to have at least some idea of the essence of the issue.
In any case, I wish you an interesting construction and successful completion of your Victory.
All the best!
Kirill

Long ago I founf these sites,which Im using on my rigging. There are several pictures of every step.

Attachments

• Drawing-17-Rigging-stage-6 (1)(1).pdf
    13.6 MB · Views: 22
Good day,
This is nice drawing! Looks very convinient for use!
But scale is different from Heller... to use it ,all data need to be recalculated to correct size for 1:100 scale... do You have another drawings from this set?... As I understood , set of it will cover all standing and running rigging for the Victory model?
This file which You shared with us shows only set of braces rigging...
and opportunities to share it with us for private use ? In my turn I will give link to my archive with some Victory rigging drawings free downloaded from the net ...
as I remember, Radek ( from his site " His Models" )also offers Victory rigging drawings with indication of all block sizes used on models/ of cause wich are adopted to his shop offers... Dafi has "brilliant" sets of additions to this kit !... but I think You already knew about Dafi and Radek...

Your model is made very carefully and neatly, but the rigging in a sense falls out of the general image... so it seemed to me that it makes sense to take a step back and reproduce the rigging more carefully, it is obvious that you don’t need skills in fine work, but good rigging and making interesting and the model will look completely different... taking into account the fact that building even a plastic model of a sailboat takes several years of extended pleasure, some steps back and returning to the same point at a more advanced level is quite common... :))) Are you familiar with the books by Anderson, Marquardt and Nepean Longridge on this topic, rigging, and Victory in particular?

Yes I have ordered some parts from Dafi. It was : kati.eu Victory rigging,where I found 7 different pages,where the rigging is shown. Its in 1/72 scale all the ropes and blocks, but alot of help to find out how the ropes are tended to go.

kativ.eu - /ivohobby/Ships/Victory/​

This site has all the different states of rigging. My computer tells me its not safe, but I have loaded pictures. They are done in bdf , so I couldnt send the pictures streight , as they seem to be too big. I have been workin on this project for a year.
My first attempt was Billingboats Wasa...still lacking most of the rigging after 35 years, so I know some of the projects take a lot of time:). Wasa has been in "shelter" just for a year. So after 35 years I found some motivation to make a display case for her.
After that I studiet HMS Victory for some time . You are right about the thought about a step back with the stays, well see. I tried to send some pictures of the rigging shown on that site but they are too large.
So you can look that link.

There are some info about Nelson ships free loaded from the net
And book usefull for rigging

Kirill, did those threads I sent you make of any use? I found them quitw helpfull in some parts together with some pictures of fxmple Grants first build.:)

Back