HMS Terror water tanks

Hi

I'm building HMS Terror with full interior. I have read a lot of the interesting reference books including the recent one by Mathew Betts. However, I cannot find what the water tanks would be made of. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Iron?:
Full article is behind a steep paywall, unfortunately. A search for the exact title on academia.edu did not find it, but there could be something there.

Thanks Pebbleworm. I agree Iron seemed sensible and I have now managed to find an article which confirmed this - at least in respect of HMS Terror

Thanks Ewek. I already had these drawings which have been very useful but as far as I can tell they make no reference to the actual material used to make the tanks. As per above I have now found out they were made of iron so I will proceed on that basis. I must admit this has been quite a challenging build combining extensive research and modelling problems but nonetheless highly enjoyable.

I'm wondering how they kept them from freezing solid. There was no central heating :) Would having them at the bottom of the ship help?

I'm wondering how they kept them from freezing solid. There was no central heating :) Would having them at the bottom of the ship help?
The water outside the hull under the waterline has usually positive temperature
Like you can see at the cross section - these tanks were installed midship directly on top of the keelson

Hi

I'm building HMS Terror with full interior. I have read a lot of the interesting reference books including the recent one by Mathew Betts. However, I cannot find what the water tanks would be made of. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Hallo @Alastair
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi

Thanks
Hallo @Alastair
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back