HMS Terror - Cutaway

This is my first post on S of S. I have found the discussions very interesting so far. I am a reasonably experienced model builder although I have to date only made one boat. I do like taking a standard kit and kit bashing it to either make it more interesting or more accurate. In general I like Occre kits although i do find them sometimes strangely inaccurate and not done for any obvious commercial reasons such as ease of production or cost - just inaccurate. However, I am now interested in building HMS Terror by Occre. I have just finished reading Michael Palin's book which was very interesting. My intention is to use the kit as a basis of doing a cutaway model (akin to the Bounty by Occre and AL). I have found various diagrams on the internet of deck plans but the resolution is not great when zoomed in. I have also been to the online resourse of the Greenwich Mueseum but they want £50 for each download high res image. There seem to be a number of books about the HMS Terror but of course I cannot see what is inside them. Unfortunatley (or fortunately) I live in Cumbria and not near any good bookshops or large libraries. Can anyone tell me where I can see and or buy (at reasonable cost) more detailed diagrams of the decks, cabins etc

First of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

Interesting project - so it si absolutely necessary to assist you in the research work !!
The drawings which are to be downloaded from the museum have only a smaller file size.....
.... but you can find most of these contemporary drawings on wikipedia in high resolution, which can be downloaded easily

f.e. this one

Terror_(1813);_Erebus_(1826)_RMG_J1407.png

Terror (1813); Erebus (1826) Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the inboard profile with fittings for Terror (1813) and Erebus (1826), both Bomb Vessels converted for polar exploration. The plan relates to the two ships as converted for the Antartctic Expedition under Captain James Clark Ross in 1839. The plan shows the Erebus, as Terror had some diferences in the position of the bowsprit and hatches. Signed by Francis J. Laire [Master Shipwright, Chatham Dockyard 1844-1858]. TERROR 1813

or this one with 13,422 × 4,663 pixels

Terror_(1813);_Erebus_(1826)_RMG_J1409.png

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the upper deck with deck fittings for Terror (1813) and Erebus (1826), both Bomb Vessels converted for polar exploration. The plan relates to the two ships as converted for the Antarctic Expedition under Captain James Clark Ross in 1839.
The plan shows the Erebus, as Terror had some diferences in the position of the bowsprit and hatches.
Signed by Francis J. Laire [Master Shipwright, Chatham Dockyard, 1844-1858]

there are 9 or 10 drawings of the HMS TERROR with high resolution

Hi Uwe

That's great. I have just downloaded one of the images and they are great. I can now see all the detail and read the annotations. I only have a slow internet here so will start the others soon. Many thanks for your help. No doubt I will be coming back with more questions as I delve deeper into the project. By the way i have had a quick look at some of your projects - they look really good.

All the best
Alastair

Back