HMS Neptune - Speaker Class?

I've always liked the 17th century ships, but understandably documentation is scarce. Corel has the Neptune which I've always liked, but it's pretty well established that while a HMS Neptune did exist in 1690 she was a 90 gun second rate so much bigger than the 58 gun Neptune Corel offers. I'm guessing they got the design from somewhere. Looking through some resources it really looks like it was modeled after the Speaker class 50-60 gun 4th rates built in the 1650s. Size, gun ports and design seem pretty close based off the few paintings I was able to locate. Marston Moor later York, Gloucester, Fairfax, Torrington later Dreadnought being some of the ships of this class. Anyone know more about these ships, design or have an opinion?

There was no Neptune existing fitting to this time and class.
It is written at Krick about the model

Dieses eindrucksvolle Modell der NEPTUNE konnte auf der Grundlage von Darstellungen und Modellen der einstigen Werft originalgetreu nachgebildet werden, die im Schifffahrtsmuseum von Greenwich aufbewahrt werden. Es handelt sich um ein Kriegsschiff des dritten Ranges (55/60 Kanonen), das am 2. Juni 1692 an der Schlacht von La Hougue beteiligt war: Die englische Flotte unter dem Kommando des Admirals Rooke brachte der französischen Seestreitmacht unter Admiral Tourville eine empfindliche Niederlage bei.

google translation:
This impressive model of the NEPTUNE was faithfully recreated based on representations and models from the former shipyard, which are kept in the Greenwich Maritime Museum. It is a third-rate warship (55/60 guns) that took part in the Battle of La Hougue on June 2, 1692: the English fleet under the command of Admiral Rooke inflicted a severe defeat on the French naval force under Admiral Tourville at.

These are the ships participated at the battle
Screenshot 2023-10-29 155323.png

In the museum I did not find anything which is fitting (contemporary model) maybe the St Albans, but she was smaller

but maybe this one, but it is not looking contemporary and it is not fitting really - showing the Glasgow after the rebuilt (I think)

Screenshot 2023-10-29 160114.png

I've always liked the 17th century ships, but understandably documentation is scarce. Corel has the Neptune which I've always liked, but it's pretty well established that while a HMS Neptune did exist in 1690 she was a 90 gun second rate so much bigger than the 58 gun Neptune Corel offers. I'm guessing they got the design from somewhere. Looking through some resources it really looks like it was modeled after the Speaker class 50-60 gun 4th rates built in the 1650s. Size, gun ports and design seem pretty close based off the few paintings I was able to locate. Marston Moor later York, Gloucester, Fairfax, Torrington later Dreadnought being some of the ships of this class. Anyone know more about these ships, design or have an opinion?
and btw a warm welcome here on board of our forum

There was no Neptune existing fitting to this time and class.
It is written at Krick about the model

Dieses eindrucksvolle Modell der NEPTUNE konnte auf der Grundlage von Darstellungen und Modellen der einstigen Werft originalgetreu nachgebildet werden, die im Schifffahrtsmuseum von Greenwich aufbewahrt werden. Es handelt sich um ein Kriegsschiff des dritten Ranges (55/60 Kanonen), das am 2. Juni 1692 an der Schlacht von La Hougue beteiligt war: Die englische Flotte unter dem Kommando des Admirals Rooke brachte der französischen Seestreitmacht unter Admiral Tourville eine empfindliche Niederlage bei.

google translation:
This impressive model of the NEPTUNE was faithfully recreated based on representations and models from the former shipyard, which are kept in the Greenwich Maritime Museum. It is a third-rate warship (55/60 guns) that took part in the Battle of La Hougue on June 2, 1692: the English fleet under the command of Admiral Rooke inflicted a severe defeat on the French naval force under Admiral Tourville at.

These are the ships participated at the battle
View attachment 403337

In the museum I did not find anything which is fitting (contemporary model) maybe the St Albans, but she was smaller

but maybe this one, but it is not looking contemporary and it is not fitting really - showing the Glasgow after the rebuilt (I think)

View attachment 403339

Uwe,
Many thanks for the great reply. I think without Corel actually telling from which ship(s) the model was derived it will remain a mystery. I have researched the Greenwich Maritime Museum, but saw neither of the models you show. They are both, in some ways, close to the Corel Neptune. Makes me think the model is probably a mix, lets say generic, of multiple ships. I think the three ships mentioned in the Order of Battle mentioned above are probably all likely candidates. I have a few references on the way today that may help in designing the model. In the end I think it impossible to build the Neptune into and exact representation of any one ship, but do think it wholly possible to construct the model into a great representation of a 54 of that time period.
Thanks again for the assist.

Best Regards,
Jeff

Back