Montanes by OcCre Build Log

Coming off my first and very educational build of the HMS Beagle, I now begin my 2nd journey with another OcCre model, the HMS Montanes. A full description of the Montanes can be found here.

I know many like to see the unboxing, but unfortunately, I did not take photos of the unboxing, but it was as expected. Both of my OcCre models have been well boxed, complete and well organized. I find the instructions, photos and inventory lists to be well documented.

Before starting, I wanted to take a few minutes and reflect on my first build and remind myself of the things I would take forward to this new build:

1) Patience. Now that I have checked the "Build Complete" box for the first time, I now no longer have that hanging over my head and I believe I can be more patient.

2) Only work when I am in the mood. Some days you just don't do your best work....so, take a break from the project.

3) Use less glue. I over glued everything and spent way too much time cleaning up glue over run.

4) Test fit more often. Again, take the time to test fit things before jumping in.

5) Read ahead. Look at plans down the road to make sure you know how the part you are working on will interact with other parts, etc.

6) Think of each step as a project in itself. Too easy to try and breeze through a step when you know there are hundreds more afterwards. Best example for me was the building of the 4 lifeboats for the Beagle. They were rushed and poorly done and I will redo one day. I wished I have viewed them as separate projects and taken the care to do them right. Each table, cannon, window, etc should be thought of the same.....

OK, enough talk, I will post be pics of my skeleton assembly next.
Great advice particularly for newbie builders.

yes El Montaiñes was a 74 Gonner from Spain and was active in the Trafajger Batte. I build it In 1980 th.
and since then given help and advice to 4 other builders. The instruction is not the best, as well as part of the planks /the brown one) as well. instruction again (a mix of British components, where it should be Oriental -Spain, France. Guns are riggen the UK way, as well the mast caps -mainly the lower part of the mast. If needed help etc just shoudt- el capi

Ánimo es un buen kit y te proporcionará unos buenos ratos de entretenimiento y algún que otro dolor de cabeza.
Ánimo is a good kit and will provide you with some good entertainment and the occasional headache.
HOLA desde Mijas Malaga. Yo fue en su dia unos de los primeros dev tener el honor de este Kit en 1984 o 85
-Vivia aquil tiempo en Madrid y era un buen cliente de Model Reyma, quu en su ves era amigos de OcCre, cuando los primeros kits fue al mercadoempese con 16 años- en un par de meses 80 -

Small update, it's been tough to get time in the project this week but I have marched forward as best I could. The planking of the lower deck is complete. I went without tree nails at this scale and used 3 x 60mm boards (darken edges with pencil) which I believe give the deck plenty of character without being too busy.
IMG_7282.JPG

I went with a satin finish, clear polyurethane - 5 coats.

IMG_7287.JPG

Added the support beams for the 2nd deck

IMG_7286.JPG

Finally built the support for officer's cabin and will now begin installing and planking the 2nd deck.

Back