HMS Devonshire (D02)

And another Airfix build. This time my projects is the Airfix 1/600 HMS Devoshire (D02). this may perhaps be the last Airfix in this range. Think I need to look at other kits as well, mmm ... But, this is my first surface ship after three submarines (an Akula class, a Typhoon class and the HMS Astute). A bit of background may suffice (thank you Wiki).

"HMS Devonshire was the first of the County-class destroyers and the first Batch 1 ship of the Royal Navy. The ship was built by Cammell Laird in Birkenhead near Liverpool. With a displacement of 6,200 tons full load, Devonshire was named after the English county of Devon. She was launched on 10 June 1960 and delivered to the navy two years later."

I could not resist to build a destroyer. Together with the Frigates my favourite class of ships.

I have started with the hull. This time I have decided to do the hull in "sections". I glued together the bow and the then the stern and used Tamiya thin cement to keep the two parts together working step by step from the bow to the stern. Yes, and not surprisingly, a challenging fit. I had to re-do the locating pin at the bow as it was only an insignificant little stub. I removed the original pin, drilled a hole and inserted a piece of plastic rod (0.5mm?) into the hole. That small change made a significant difference. Currently it is on the desk settlling and drying. I have quickly dry-fitted the main deck part. A tricky fit is awaiting and I anticipate much sanding and filling and sanding and filling ... But that is tomorrow's problem.

Do I enjoy the buid ... indeed.

Devonshire 1.jpg

Devonshire 3.jpg

Devonshire 2.jpg

I have joined the two halves of the hull, taking some time and doing it strectch at a time along the hull. When I revomed the pieces of masking tape the two halve were holding together well ... but I ended up with these beauties.
A good gap at the stern and a bad fit on the top part of the bow, especially the rounded structure.
It looks like the moulds truly reached their sell by date. Or perhaps used by date.

So, tonight back to the bench then. But before I tackle the bow, there are a few port hole to be drilled out. Experience alo taught me to make the holes where some of the guide pins need to fit in bigger. So the guide holes on the deck also needs to be drilled out.

Oh and the deck is not yet glued to the hull. Will do some more work on the fore part. maybe I can get it to fit better.

Devonshire 4.jpg

Devonshire 6.jpg

Devonshire 5.jpg

I built this kit many years ago and converted it to HMS Fife with 4 exocet launchers instead of the upper fwd turret. Fife was the first ship I served on.

I had some bench time, but had to quit due to a heatwave in the Western Cape. Difficult to built and concentrate in 32 degrees C. Early this morning, while still nice and cool I fitted the deck to the hull. Looking at the model and the pictures I have achieced a at least reasonable fit.

Still work to do on the bow, but at least it looks like minor and not major surgery.

I have also cleaned up the supplied Wessex. Planning to add some detail to her and will also replace the main rotor blades with thin plastic card. Hope this secondary project will work out ok. I would love to be able to obatin the aftermarket sets for the Devonshire, but with a pathetic (read totally dysfunctional) post office, it is challenging to get anything from abroad. And, our local hobby shops do not really cater for the model ship builders. And none of them are really intersted to. Ok, ranted enough now...

And I saw that Atlantic Models has lovely detail and aftermarket sets. But I suppose a good ole' scratch builing will needs to be called fore.

And in addition to some extra work on the Wessex, I will like to have a go at the seaslug launcher as well.

This project is going to take quite longer than planned. But who is in a hurry?

Devonshire 9.jpg

Devonshire 7.jpg

Devonshire 8.jpg

I built this kit many years ago and converted it to HMS Fife with 4 exocet launchers instead of the upper fwd turret. Fife was the first ship I served on.
Always nice to hear from those that have served on these ships. Perhaps you could help. I read somewhere on the net, that the Airfix Devonshire is actually a presentation of the HMS Kent rather than the Devonshire?

Sunday. Yesterday in the cooler part of the evening I succeeded (hopefully) to bring the hull together with the main deck. The way it came together gives me more hope for the rest.

I had to re-do the upper part of the bow. Filled the original "hole" (not sure of the technical designation) with Tamiya putty, sanded it and re-drill the "hole". Not perfect, but at least it is there.

She is taking shape. Need to focus on the little Wessex now. And then ... the Seaslug launcher. No idea yet how I am going to "improve" the latter, but time will tell.

Devonshire 10.jpg

Always nice to hear from those that have served on these ships. Perhaps you could help. I read somewhere on the net, that the Airfix Devonshire is actually a presentation of the HMS Kent rather than the Devonshire?
Hi, it is really difficult to define because these ships were all originally built in the same format represented here, with two fwd 4.5" guns and the Sea Slug launcher at the rear, however after each vessel was refitted the 2nd Fwd turret was removed an four exocet launchers were fitted. I also believe that one of the vessels continued with the two turrets, so that could have been HMS Kent. These ships also had sea dart but I can't recall if this is represented on the kit. Sorry I can't be more specific. Between you and me, I hated my time on board this ship and ultimately only served on it for 3 or 4 months, I eventually ended up on Submarines, which was a far better fit for me.

So you aren't adopting the Wessex's radome?
Those small fins at the tail would benefit being sliced off and replaced with plasticard?

So you aren't adopting the Wessex's radome?
Those small fins at the tail would benefit being sliced off and replaced with plasticard?
Morning, good to here from you. It seems that the Airfix Devonshire might be in its 1962 - 1964 configuration. Chances are that the Wessex would be the Mk1, without the dome. Looks if the dome were present on the HAS 3 - but I stand to be corrected. Good advice re the tail fins, thanks. But as is, the Wessex is still a work in progress. Looks more like a Seasprite currently ... ;)

Hi, it is really difficult to define because these ships were all originally built in the same format represented here, with two fwd 4.5" guns and the Sea Slug launcher at the rear, however after each vessel was refitted the 2nd Fwd turret was removed an four exocet launchers were fitted. I also believe that one of the vessels continued with the two turrets, so that could have been HMS Kent. These ships also had sea dart but I can't recall if this is represented on the kit. Sorry I can't be more specific. Between you and me, I hated my time on board this ship and ultimately only served on it for 3 or 4 months, I eventually ended up on Submarines, which was a far better fit for me.
Hi, Devonshire was my first ship, and I loved serving in her. I was onboard from Jan 76 to Dec 77. Perhaps I can clear up a couple of things. Devonshire never had Exocet fitted, possibly because the port boiler decided it didn’t want to go on deployment with Ark Royal and other ships so it blew up in in the middle of the Bay of Biscay. The boiler was never replaced and she ran on one until she de commissioned in 1978. Also the County class had two quadruple sea cat launchers not sea dart. I think they are on the model but not sure. Other notable events in her life were a visit to Odessa in Ukraine, then part of the Soviet Union in 1976. She took part in the fleet review at Spithead in 1977. Sadly we also lost a Wessex 3 helicopter in the South West approaches in which the flight commander was killed. As I say I really loved my time onboard, unlike HMS Fife which I also had the misfortune to serve on. I hated every minute on that tub, and as a result put my ticket in and went outside. Two ships of the same class yet polar opposites.

Hi, Devonshire was my first ship, and I loved serving in her. I was onboard from Jan 76 to Dec 77. Perhaps I can clear up a couple of things. Devonshire never had Exocet fitted, possibly because the port boiler decided it didn’t want to go on deployment with Ark Royal and other ships so it blew up in in the middle of the Bay of Biscay. The boiler was never replaced and she ran on one until she de commissioned in 1978. Also the County class had two quadruple sea cat launchers not sea dart. I think they are on the model but not sure. Other notable events in her life were a visit to Odessa in Ukraine, then part of the Soviet Union in 1976. She took part in the fleet review at Spithead in 1977. Sadly we also lost a Wessex 3 helicopter in the South West approaches in which the flight commander was killed. As I say I really loved my time onboard, unlike HMS Fife which I also had the misfortune to serve on. I hated every minute on that tub, and as a result put my ticket in and went outside. Two ships of the same class yet polar opposites.
Tow lovely and very informative posts. Thanks @Buster and @Geordierob. The Devonshire is still a WIP, so any information is really welcome.

Back