HMS Bellona 1760 1:75 Timber [COMPLETED BUILD]

Wow. What beauty. For myself, this is the first time I have seen the ships boats hoisted in this fashion especially the one that seems to be hoisted near the first foremast.
Incredible!!!!

Congratulations. This is a huge amount of work, which is visible in every aspect of the model. Superbe

Thanks for the comments. Most images of 74s like Bellona have all the ship's boats stacked on the boat booms. I decided to do something different. The 2 cutters on the quarter davits idea came from the cover of one of Patrick O'Brian's books "The Yellow Admiral" which has one of Geoff Hunt's beautiful ship paintings, in this case Bellona herself. The picture has one cutter stowed on the quarter davits and the other rowing away from the ship and showing the davits in the lowered position. The boat positioned outboard between the fore and main masts is the large pinnace which is displayed as being hoisted from the storage position on the booms and was an opportunity to show how , using 4 sets of tackles, a boat of this size was lifted into the water.304873012df3cffd70e9bd81c5a0e8bd.jpg

This forum looks like a good place to create a build log and to share progress and to learn and to share problems and solutions.
After a couple of kits, the second being HMAT Bounty which was significantly kit bashed, the scratch build bug bit and a 1:75 HMS Surprise model has been completed.
For a bit of a challenge I have decided to attempt a 1:75 scratch build of HMS Bellona, the complex decks and intricate carvings should keep me occupied for a while.
I have acquired the "Anatomy of the 74 Gun Ship Bellona" in both pdf and hard copy and internet searches have provided lots of images.
Drawings in the book have been scaled up to 1:75 to give a base for construction. The hull profiles have been fixed to 6mm marine ply to form a skeleton with a false keel and bulkheads.

A PC was used to transfer drawings to Word for Windows where they were scaled up to 1:75.

Hull profiles and the false keel were glued to 6mm marine ply to form the basic structure.

Work continues.

Cheers,

David.
Hallo @Navis Factorem
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

The final chapter.
PXL_20240321_235915632.jpgPXL_20240323_123246602.jpgBellona is finally safe and sound inside an acrylic display case protected from dust and any other deterioration and damage.
This the fourth display case I have had fabricated. The first was for the Port Jackson schooner which was completed in 2008 which lived happily uncovered on a shelf for a while until one day I discovered a spider had taken up residence and had supplemented the rigging. A clean up happened and a cover was quickly procured. Cases for Bounty and Surprise were made up soon after completion.
All the cases have been fabricated by a local plastics company who made up the first three from a simple dimensioned axonometric sketch with no problems. The fourth case for Bellona was another story. It took three attempts to get right although based on a similar sketch to the previous three. A mystery.
Thanks for the positive comments on the Bellona build.
It has now been about three months since completion and I am still trying to work out what to do next. I think Bellona is about as complex as timber ship builds get so I don't think I will build another like her. Still thinking.
Cheers, David.

The final chapter.
View attachment 441191View attachment 441192Bellona is finally safe and sound inside an acrylic display case protected from dust and any other deterioration and damage.
This the fourth display case I have had fabricated. The first was for the Port Jackson schooner which was completed in 2008 which lived happily uncovered on a shelf for a while until one day I discovered a spider had taken up residence and had supplemented the rigging. A clean up happened and a cover was quickly procured. Cases for Bounty and Surprise were made up soon after completion.
All the cases have been fabricated by a local plastics company who made up the first three from a simple dimensioned axonometric sketch with no problems. The fourth case for Bellona was another story. It took three attempts to get right although based on a similar sketch to the previous three. A mystery.
It has now been about three months since completion and I am still trying to work out what to do next. I think Bellona is about as complex as timber ship builds get so I don't think I will build another like her. Still thinking.
Cheers, David.
Sir you have built a truly beautiful ship!

The final chapter.
View attachment 441191View attachment 441192Bellona is finally safe and sound inside an acrylic display case protected from dust and any other deterioration and damage.
Cheers, David.
Good morning David. Wow you certainly built a beautiful rendition of the HMS Bellona. She looks majestic in your display case. Congratulations. Cheers Grant

Very nice location and final place of your beautiful model - Great
I am looking forward to see and follow your next project

Back